• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Literature

A

angulo

hallo

i look for the best book about South American Dwarf Cichlids. i have some knowledge about some of them :

1. South American Cichlids II (AQUALOG-Reference Books)
Ulrich Glaser, Wolfgang Glaser

2. South American Dwarf Cichlids
Hans J. Mayland and Dieter Bork

3. American Cichlids I - Dwarf Cichlids
Horst Linke and Dr. Wolfgang Staeck

4. Cichlid Atlas
Dr. Uwe Römer

5. Cichlids of Central America
Konings, Ad

which one has the most usefull informations and best photos. may be you are able to suggest me better one?

thanks
angulo

aspen

5 Year Member
i own the cichlid atlas by uwe romer and it is an excellent book- a must have for dwarf cichlid keepers imo.

rick

Rolo

5 Year Member
Hi,

hey, all authors are german *g* ... do you have no good own authors?

Römer is of course a "must have" for Apistogramma fans, but it have several mistakes or errors and it's no longer up to date, because it is about 6 years old and many newer species are missing. But anyway it is very good to look for some details quickly, but you get you know, what to believe or not and you have to reflect all infos (as usual).

Linke & Staeck is a very nice book with good pictures and Infos, but there are less species in it and it is a bit older, too.

Very up to date is the book from Ingo Koslowski, but I don't know, if it is available in english. But is is a book to read from start to end, not to look for something, like Römer's book. Unfortunately there have been some problems with the scans of the pictures, so many pictures are bad. But nevertheless it's recommendable.

The newest is the "Cichlidenlexikon" from W. Staeck. Just published here in germany in December. Not so much Infos about the several species but very up to date.

greetings,
Rolo

-anne-

5 Year Member
I have Hans J. Mayland's and Dieter Bork's book and I just got yesterday Römer's book. I have been very happy with my first apistobook. It gives a lot of good and concrete advices on different species because all the text seem to be based on the authors' own experiences. The book has great photos too. I recommend. (The species that are introduced are less than 100).

If you need a book that introduces more species then Cichlid Atlas is a better choice. A lot of information and and pics, but - in my opinion - the text is not as enjoyable and deep going as in Mayland's and Dieter Bork's book.

BTW, Is there anywhere a list of the mistakes/errors of C. Atlas?

For those who have the new Cichlidenlexikon from W. Staeck: Are you happy with the book? How many pages and introduced species? I'd like to buy the book but I'd like to know first if it is worth it :)

Rolo

5 Year Member
Hi Anne,

I have the new Cichlidenlexikon. I wouldn't say it is a "must have", but is is a good book. It is just a lexicon, as the title says. That means that the informations are in note form and there are less general infos about apistogrammas at all. But therefore there are a lot of word description of special terms for people, who are thinking, that apisto-books are written in chinese ;-)

A "must have" is the Koslowski book, I would say... even with the bad pictures.

greetings,
Rolo

aspen

5 Year Member
the aqualog book is simply a picture book with a very brief list of symbols under each picture describing size of tank, water conditions etc for the species depicted. lots of good pics, but not much else. however it does show many morphs of each species. i haven't bought it, and it isn't on my wish list atm.

rick

Z Man

5 Year Member
Anne if you (or anyone else) would like me to e-mail the corrections that Mike Wise wrote for the Roemer book you can e-mail me at [email protected] and I will send it to you. It is four (that's 4!) pages long!!!

A

angulo

Cont. Literature

hi all,

anyone knows if some english translation from koslowski or latest linke and staeck book is anywhere available ? :)

thanks in advance
angulo

Neil

angulo,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

Unfortunately, as far as I know, neither the Staeck or Kolowski book have translations presently or is there any intention of publishing these books in English in the future. However, Mike Wise is, I think!, working on a personal translation of the Koslowski book. Both are apparently good and it is a shame that there is not enough of a demand for them from English language readers that the publishers have any incentive to translate them! This is a situation that has been created by the amount of sales of many other translated aquarium hobby books in the past. If more of us buy the books when they are translated, they will translate more. It seems that recently more of us are interested in Dwarf Cichlids, so maybe that will change soon.

Neil

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJM_Aquatics

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….