• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Leaves for blackwater aquarium

JimmyTheFish

5 Year Member
Hi everyone,

I done some reading and seen that one can use oak leaves in a blackwater biotope. Being summer here in Australia I'm not gonna find any dried leaves on the ground. I have picked some green ones and I have them in a drying oven at 60 degrees Celsius. Just wondering how long I need to dry them out for before I can start adding them to my aquarium?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

samurai.cichlid

i might be wrong, but i believe you ideally want the tree to "shed" the leaves naturally. that way before shedding the leaf it absorbs all the junk from it--sap, other tree-ish juices, etc--because you don't want that stuff in your tank you see.

i'm new to apistos so i might be wrong, but that was my understanding.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
i might be wrong, but i believe you ideally want the tree to "shed" the leaves naturally. that way before shedding the leaf it absorbs all the junk from it--sap, other tree-ish juices, etc--because you don't want that stuff in your tank you see.
That is right, when the tree sheds a leaf it withdraws the proteins and sugars from it first. If you pick a green leaf, and dry it, then the sugars and proteins are still present.

You don't have to use Oak leaves, any dead leaves from Camellia, Banksia, Magnolia grandiflora, Psidium & Eriobotrya leaves are suitable. I probably wouldn't use Ficus, Rhododendron, Eucalyptus or Acacia leaves.

cheers Darrel

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sortof_here

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….