• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Laetacara sp. 'purple gold' or buckelkopf

_BaDgUy_

5 Year Member
I've researched the subject a little on the forum, and it seems both are the same.

Does anyone have any experience with these fish? Specifically, sexing them, and their stressed out coloration.

I got some today that were labelled Laetacara buckelkopf. I've searched on the net, and mine seem odd. Probably stressed out! They are pale coloured, with golden blotches on the sides. I've seen the pic taken by Ghazanfar Ghori, and mine are nowhere close to that coloration!!

Any help from anyone?

Thanks,
David

Randall

5 Year Member
Laetacara buckelkopf

Dear David,

Please be patient with your new beauties. They will need some time to settle in and get used to their new surroudings before coloring up. Please feed them well and give them a chance.

With Laetacara sp., sexual dimorphism isn't very apparent until maturity. Males tend to grow larger, be more higher backed, have more of a forehead and have more pointed dorsal and anal fins. Females tend to be more elongate, have a more elongate head profile and have more rounded dorsal and anal fins.

Good luck with them!

All the best,

Randall Kohn

_BaDgUy_

5 Year Member
Thanks for the picture Ghazanfar!!

I've bought another fish at an auction 2 weeks ago. Now have three, but all seem juveniles, but starting to mature.

I've noticed one of the fish is developing a pointed dorsal fin, and seems to have some blue/purple coloration at times. I seem to have a trio for now, 1 male 2 females, based on the dorsal fin.

Thanks,
David

_BaDgUy_

5 Year Member
Well, it seems I have a couple that paired up!!!
There is about 200 eggs on top of an Anubia leaf!!!
Hope they really are a couple, male and female!

Thanks everyone for your help!

David

apistodave

Staff member
5 Year Member
you also have the pointy fin thing with these, here are some pics of a pair of dorsiger (the German purple face,gold CF) these might confuse, they look nothing like the other pics Ghazanfar has here:
http://mediaservice.photoisland.com/auction/May/20035168701660164447983.jpg

Purple-gold are the German CF of Latacara dorsigera. Latacara bukelkopf are different fish entirely, the name means hump head or back and the larger males do get a bucal hump, another one is Latacara sp "Orange Fin"

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….