• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

laetacara ID

fernandoperini

5 Year Member
laetacara22vp.gif

Dorsigera?

tanks

ste12000

5 Year Member
Hi, the first picture is almost certainly Dorsigera, the fish you thought was Curviceps is actually Laetacara sp 'Humpback' or 'Buckelkopf'...

Stunning fish, are they yours???

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
I agree... the first is L. curviceps and the second sp. 'Buckelkopf'. Has that species been described/named yet?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
In my opinion the first photo shows 2 different species: front fish L. dorsigera; rear fish L. sp. Buckelkopf. The second photo is L. sp. Buckelkopf (which has not yet been scientifically described). Did these fish come in the same shipment??

ste12000

5 Year Member
I agree... the first is L. curviceps and the second sp. 'Buckelkopf'. Has that species been described/named yet?

I was going to ask that myself..As far as i can make out it has not been, But i am far from being an expert on these things..

Stunning fish, and one ill add to my hitlist..

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Now that I look at the first image more closely, yes there are two species. The fish with the spot in the dorsal is mostl likely dorsigera, though I have seen some 'spotty' curviceps-like fish is stores lately. I wonder if they have not bee mixed a bit. The other is the 'buckekopf'.

Boupette

5 Year Member
In my opinion the first photo shows 2 different species: front fish L. dorsigera; rear fish L. sp. Buckelkopf. The second photo is L. sp. Buckelkopf (which has not yet been scientifically described). Did these fish come in the same shipment??

Sorry to come back with it after so many years.

The first pic belongs to Cabie, someone I knew in the hobby and lost her trace. It shows indeed a L.dorsigera and L.sp. "Buckelkopf" now named L. araguaiae. At the time, in 2005 or 2006, I was breeding L. curviceps and L. sp."Buckelkopf" which I had a pair of each in our fish association in Quebec, Canada. I sold her some L.sp. "Buckelkopf." and she had already L. dorsigera. She never reproduced them and I lost the strain.

http://www.aquaryus.com/forum/topic/6631-mes-bacs/
laetacara22vp.gif

JasonC

5 Year Member
So does anyone have any good links that show diagnostic features of the different laetacara species? Have a few and have no idea what specific species they are.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
There are some recent scientific papers re-describing L. dorsigera & L. curviceps, plus L. araguaiae & the new L. flamannellus. There are several books that describe the difference very well - or you could post photos for the member to ID.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jhays79

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….