• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Laetacara flamannellus a new dwarf acara

viejo

5 Year Member
After a cursory exam of the paper, my impression is that this 'new' species is a bit 'iffy' being based largely ( or mostly) on live coloration which can be influenced by a number of non'genetic factors.

gerald

5 Year Member
Agree with viejo, the paper's comparison with curviceps is too weak to be convincing. This could be a valid species, or just a yellower color form of curviceps. They don't say much about curviceps' color variability, geographic range, or whether these two "species" are isolated.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
After a cursory exam of the paper, my impression is that this 'new' species is a bit 'iffy' being based largely ( or mostly) on live coloration which can be influenced by a number of non'genetic factors.

There are also some internal structural differences. I guess with both there are sufficient to erect a new species. We need to see what the professionals think. Now I have to find my photos of Laetacara curviceps shipped from Surinam. I wonder if this is curviceps, flamannellus, or something completely different.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Agree with viejo, the paper's comparison with curviceps is too weak to be convincing. This could be a valid species, or just a yellower color form of curviceps. They don't say much about curviceps' color variability, geographic range, or whether these two "species" are isolated.

L. flamannellus is only reported from the state of Amapá, Brazil, on the east coast north of the mouth of the Amazon. Right now, L. curviceps occurs only on the south side of the lower Amazon. In their redescription of L. curviceps [See: Ottoni, F.P.; Mattos, J.L.O. & Schindler, I. (2009): Re-description of Laetacara curviceps (Teleostei: Cichlidae: Cichlinae). Vertebrate Zoology, 59(2): 123 – 129. (http://www.vertebrate-zoology.de/vz59-2/01_Vertebrate_Zoology_59-2_Ottoni.pdf)] the authors were a bit vague, just listing, "Distribution. South America: Amazon, in lower portions
of tributaries of the Amazon river drainage in Brazil." I think the authors listed it this way because they thought that they had a different species (L. flamannellus) but either weren't positive or not ready to let others know before they published.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sortof_here

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….