• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Laetacara chasing issues.

Finalfins

Hi,

I recently purchased a small group of juvenile Laetacara araguaiae to grow out in a 20 gallon.

I noticed that a clear dominant individual haha emerged- this one is fully colored up, and frequently chases the other members of the group. What I witness is slight nipping and chasing but no real injuries.

However, I was made aware of their personality issues before looking into these species, and I understand there is a discrepancy between wild / TR individuals and their personalities. Therefore, I made sure to purchase TR fish from a trusted seller.

However, the dominant one is the only one that exhibits this behavior- the other ones don’t participate in chasing and are quite peaceful.

What I’m wondering is if I can take action to prevent any more aggression before I lose any. Is this normal for this species, and has anyone experienced this in their own fish? Would it be possible that despite being only around 1.5 in, they are starting to enter maturity, and possibly be in the position to pair off, hence the chasing?

Thanks.

Mazan

I have 4, they were 1-1.5” when I got them and within a month and not a lot bigger they had started to breed. Two pairs formed without much prior chasing. I have the two pairs in a densely planted tank 160 x 60 x 60 cm (about 150 gallons), one pair has stayed together, the other two fall out frequently with quite a bit of chasing going on, but there are plenty of hiding places and the chases are not relentless. The two,pairs chase each other and occasionally fight but no serious harm is done. Obviously in a much smaller tank the fighting could get more serious. When a pair forms in your tank you will probably have to remove the others.

Finalfins

I do have the means of separating pairs, but I did not expect aggression to come so quickly, and I have fry occupying the other tanks which I can move them into, so a bit of a logistical issue for me.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
This is typical cichlid territorial aggression. You have them in too small/open tank right now. You could remove the most aggressive fish, but the next most dominant fish would take its place as aggressor.

MacZ

I do have the means of separating pairs, but I did not expect aggression to come so quickly, and I have fry occupying the other tanks which I can move them into, so a bit of a logistical issue for me.
This is typical cichlid territorial aggression. You have them in too small/open tank right now. You could remove the most aggressive fish, but the next most dominant fish would take its place as aggressor.
I agree with Mike. That's why you should either have a rehoming option or enough free tank speace to separate each fish individually if necessary, before buying them.

Finalfins

Duly noted. I will clear out another tank and separate if I notice any injuries. Overnight it seems to have calmed down but I still notice a little of chasing.

MacZ

separate if I notice any injuries
Injuries are generally unlikely beyond ripped fins. When a fish stays at a top corner or in a hiding spot, that's when you have to act. A dwarf cichlids at the surface is a homeless dwarf cichlid and will be chased relentlessly until its demise. Outright killings are rather rare in comparison to e.g. Malawi cichlids.
I still notice a little of chasing.
Can't prevent that. Some chasing is still part of a "harmonious" group/pair of cichlids.

Mazan

I actually think a 20 gallon is on the small size even for a pair, they get quite big for dwarf cichlids, especially the males. But if you have enough structure, driftwood and plants it may be OK. I did have one female that was chased to the top and hiding after one of the first spawns failed. But this situation only lasted a couple of days and has not happened again since. I have had them about 16 months. When I say they don't chase relentlessly, usually they stop chasing when they can no longer see the other fish. Unlike an Apistogramma Agassizii I once had that that would seek the chased fish out wherever it was hiding.

Finalfins

I actually think a 20 gallon is on the small size even for a pair, they get quite big for dwarf cichlids, especially the males. But if you have enough structure, driftwood and plants it may be OK. I did have one female that was chased to the top and hiding after one of the first spawns failed. But this situation only lasted a couple of days and has not happened again since. I have had them about 16 months. When I say they don't chase relentlessly, usually they stop chasing when they can no longer see the other fish. Unlike an Apistogramma Agassizii I once had that that would seek the chased fish out wherever it was hiding.
The tank is 80cm long, but once a pair forms I want to move them to a 60cm tank, with just them, if this is acceptable?

Mazan

The tank is 80cm long, but once a pair forms I want to move them to a 60cm tank, with just them, if this is acceptable?
It might be OK especially while they are still quite small, its difficult for me to be sure as mine have always been in a large tank. If the pair have already formed I think the risky period is when a spawn is lost for whatever reason - they seem to blame each other and you might have to rescue one, probably the female. And they were not great parents for the first couple of times, though they improved with experience, many times getting the fry to a couple of days free swimming, sometimes more. They never managed to rear any in the big tank but there are various tetras and angelfish in there, or they might have even eaten them themselves as they always spawned again almost immediately after the fry disappear. I have reared fry by taking them some out at the free swimming stage. My local fish shop kept some back and bred them with just the parents in the tank, but the parents ate the fry when they were still very small and proceeded to spawn again immediately. So you could remove the parents before this happens and just rear the fry in the 60cm tank. I think you will just have to be very observant and you will realize if anyone has to be moved.

Here is one of my pairs, you can see that the male is a lot bigger, but the first time they bred this was not the case, they were pretty much the same size and the male didn't yet have the nuchal hump....
IMG_7368.JPG

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apistokeeper

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….