• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

L. curviceps & blanched (english) spinach

curviceps

5 Year Member
Hi all

What is your L. curviceps favourite food?

Mine eats almost anything, but I recently discovered they (or at least the male) absolutely loves blanched english spinach. Normally it is quite shy and would grab some food and retreat to its favourite hideout, but when there is blanched english spinach, it spends a lot of time in the open, tearing away at it.

Is this diet okay for it (I only feed this in the weekend)?

Apistt_ed

I've never tried that before... I have tried the frozen peas mashed formula, which I have used with tropheus though and of all my apistos/dwarfs, the only ones that will take it is A. steindachneri. I know my plecos love spinach! Great tip for me to try! john

Fatts

5 Year Member
Only thing is, Have y'all seen the news reports on fresh bagged spinach? They are reporting that it is responsible for a bunch of people coming down with E. coli.

What will that do to your fish? Will it kill them? Or even make them sick?

fishgeek

properly washed it shouldn't even be a problem for mamals

e.coli should be spread orofaecal route, basically was the poo of the spinach before you eat it

andrew

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
According to news reports, the "experts" say that it is impossible to thoroughly clean spinach of E. coli without boiling it. Something about all the porosity of the leaves.

JG

5 Year Member
Mike, are you trying to ruin my spinach salads? A local joint next to my office makes the meanest spinach salad. lol.

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
And I hear reports that almost every small stream along the fields in California has E. coli in it.:eek: Get the workers some port-a-potties and stop using the streams to water the food plants.

Jeff

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sortof_here

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….