• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

kH/pH-drop resulting in ...Spawning Apistos????

MickeM

5 Year Member
Hi all.. !!

I got inspired to present/"lay out" some thoughts after reading an earlier thread..

As I have previously pointed out, some of my Apistogramma proliferations/spawnings not have been possible to start running without a limited sand-suction-water change .. (anyway, this tends to apply to species that do not come from very acidic / low pH water !!) ....

Since I am not an advanced chemist, so I am always looking statements to some effects that can be achieved in our aquariums ..
I've had a few theories to the effect that a KH-change or change in the amount of bacteria in the sand that have been affected by small water changes + suction (in an otherwise OK / functioning aquarium ..) can start behaviors + propagation of Apistogramma ..

This presentation of gerald, I think simply and descriptively explain what actually / probably occurs at a smaller water change when you also suck away some of the bottom sludge in an aquarium?? (As I usually do ..)
Perhaps this is not really news for most experienced aquarists ... but .... a good way (I think !!) that, in a clear and thought-like manner, explaining the course to himself + other interested people ???

http://www.apistogramma.com/forum/threads/kh-gh-values-low-but-ph-7-5.18696/

Results of my sludge suction-water changes should then be ... (I guess??):confused:

- Lowering the kH .. (due to new bacteria cells in the purified sand that begins to consume the carbonates from the "free" (?) / Total volume of water, which also become "cleaner" / "poor" on the solute due to the water change itself ??)

- This should maybe then also generate a lower pH.

The question now is how fast the new / growing the bacteria can start to absorb / use significant amounts of carbonates (and other topics ..?) Out of the water volume????
I guess it can go faster than many think .. Then bacteria, at least in other contexts is known to double its amount in just a few hours or so !!! Eventually, however (?), this goes faster in a tank with a temp. at 25-26 degrees Celsius, compared to an aquarium that holds a temp of 21-22 degrees Celsius !! ??
This might also explain the info I picked up this spring .. from a pool firm's website ... about falling kH-value at the heat increase in their artificial nature-ponds in the springtime ..

At a water change moment .. when you suck sludge from a portion of the bottom surface (in the sand that you normaly have in a tank) .. I guess, that you can get double / triple effects .. even with just a small water change .. ??
(KH + pH reduction ... as well as this generates even less nitrite / nitrate quantities!)

These were just a few thoughts I got from gerald`s comment...

/Micke

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….