• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Keyhole cichlid unfertile eggs

Mhmd

Hello, i have a keyhole cichlid couple in a 55g tank with 12 ember tetras, 6 hatchet fish and a male nannacara anomala.
My keyhole cichlids been breeding every 2 weeks for like 3 months but the eggs turn all white after 2 days and they end up eating them, are the eggs not being fertilized or its just the fungus taking over?
Water Ph is 7,0 to 7,3 with lots of tanins.

MacZ

Please show a picture of both fish, so we can rule that out.

Otherwise, with that pH the amount of humic substances is irrelevant. GH/KH are much more important to know.

Mhmd

Please show a picture of both fish, so we can rule that out.

Otherwise, with that pH the amount of humic substances is irrelevant. GH/KH are much more important to know.
My gh is 24 and my kh 9 or 10

Attachments

• 4F5E3BDB-CA28-4BDB-B072-D77EE8C9EFB9.jpeg
    4F5E3BDB-CA28-4BDB-B072-D77EE8C9EFB9.jpeg
    288.2 KB · Views: 113
  • D1221A22-3DF2-4AB2-8412-614C584EAE17.jpeg
    D1221A22-3DF2-4AB2-8412-614C584EAE17.jpeg
    286.1 KB · Views: 123
  • 4C2D6E22-87DF-446D-8CDB-018887908E56.jpeg
    4C2D6E22-87DF-446D-8CDB-018887908E56.jpeg
    331.5 KB · Views: 108

Mhmd

First pic is what i think is the female and third pic is the male.
Second picture is of them both.
I had 6 keyhole cichlids that i raised for a few months and had this pair form up, they started breeding and the female would stay close to the eggs and the male would chase off other cichlids on larger area

Mazan

Well I must admit that from a group of 6 it would be unusual for a same sex pair to emerge, and the behaviour you describe is typical of a true pair. But the constantly infertile eggs lasting just two days is typical of when two females spawn together and in this case one can behave more like a male.

Do you still have any of the other keyhole cichlids?

MacZ

Well you clearly do have a pair, but I see the problem.
Those are not helpful conditions.
Many fish, among them Cleithracara, have adapted to very soft water to get around the problem of bacteria destroying the spawn.
And this is the case here. They will spawn in these conditions but I doubt there will ever be any fry hatching.

Mazan

Yes, that does seem to be the case here, though somewhat surprising in a species that has been bred in captivity for so many generations.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I agree with you, Mazan. But that really depends on where the fish originate. If Florida (do they even produce them in Florida anymore?) then they should be able to adapt & breed in hard water. If imported from Southeast Asia, as many Neotropical species are now, then hard water could be a problem.

Mhmd, if you are truly interested in getting viable eggs, then I recommend slowly making your water softer. Good luck, Keyhole are really neat fish.

Mhmd

I agree with you, Mazan. But that really depends on where the fish originate. If Florida (do they even produce them in Florida anymore?) then they should be able to adapt & breed in hard water. If imported from Southeast Asia, as many Neotropical species are now, then hard water could be a problem.

Mhmd, if you are truly interested in getting viable eggs, then I recommend slowly making your water softer. Good luck, Keyhole are really neat fish.
I had my nannacara breed in these water parameters several times and eggs were hatching every time.
I will try reducing the hardeness of my water by mixing tap water with ro water from my local fish store, thank you

Mhmd

Well I must admit that from a group of 6 it would be unusual for a same sex pair to emerge, and the behaviour you describe is typical of a true pair. But the constantly infertile eggs lasting just two days is typical of when two females spawn together and in this case one can behave more like a male.

Do you still have any of the other keyhole cichlids?
No i gave the other 4 to a hobbyist, he told me 1 of the 3 was a male and the rest were females

Mazan

Nannacara (if it is N. anomala?) would also prefer soft water but I don't think they are restricted exclusively to blackwater in the wild as are keyhole cichlids, so may not be quite as sensitive to water conditions.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csteele

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….