• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

keeping apistos alive

junolake

I've had some bad luck with some recently purchased 4 apistogramma cacatuids orange flash , they all died within the week. The tank is 75 galleons has only 4 Otto's in it . This is the second batch I've lost and the last unless i can figure out what I'm doing wrong. The fish where all bought online from reputable people. The PH is 6.8 , KH 40ppm, GH 25ppm, nitrite o, nitrate 20ppm and temperature 81 degrees. I do 20 % weekly water changes have a hard time keeping nitrate below 20ppm . Thanks for any recommendations.

MacZ

It's hard to impossible to determine the cause of death in hindsight.

The only two things I can recommend: Up the waterchanges to 50% a week (also sounds like you might have nitrates in your tap) and make sure you acclimate properly.

Otherwise there are no certainties going by the info you give.

anewbie

If the tank only has 4 otto in it -i wonder if it is cycled. The ammonia and nitrite will be 0 if there is almost no biological activity but when you add new fishes they will produce ammonia and if the tank is not cycled that ammonia will quickly become toxic.

junolake

Tested for ammonia came out 0 ppm, tank has been running over a year with various numbers of fish it also 75 galleons and heavily planted with vallisneria, crypts and pogostenon. Its also has overly filtered with sponge, cannister and HOB filters. 4 apistos shouldn't put that much of a bio- load on my water. I just cant seam to get nitrates below 10ppm.

Im thinking maybe apistos aren't meant to be for me , I have very hard water and have to use majority R/O water to supplement it , a 50 percent water change per week in a 75 g tank would be a hard commitment . I also have other tanks that to take care off.

Thank you for your comments, I appreciate them.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Domestic strains of A. cacatuoides should handle your water conditions without a problem. To me this indicates either poor quality/sick fish from the supplier or poor shipping (or both). This is why I always recommend having a proper quarantine tank for any fish that you buy before adding them to their permanent home.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….