• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Keeping Apistogramma viejita with Dicrossus

JosVermeulen

So I have a 64 gallon (240 litre) Juwel RIO 240 tank with a pair of A. viejita, several Corydoras aeneus and some cardinals tetras and some Hyphessobrycon sweglesi. Because of these tetras I'm unable to breed (fry get eaten anyways, and TDS is a tad bit high).

Now I was wondering (also not breeding per se), if I could add a group of Dicrossus to this tank? It's quite planted with driftwood in it as well.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I am unsure about D. filamentosus, but any of the more robust Dicrossus species should be OK. Macmasteri-group species can be a bit territorial.

JosVermeulen

At first I was thinking D. filamentosus, but you said they weren't robust enough. My pair isn't aggressive at all and rather shy, so could it work? Or would something like D. maculatus work better? And could either of those be kept in a group, or would a harem always be better?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I wouldn't recommend D. filamentosus, but it's your choice. D. maculatus would definitely be a better choice. I consider A. macmasteri (probably what was sold to you as A. viejita) to be 'casually polygamous'. This means that the male will breed with several different females if given the chance. Otherwise, they accept what is available. Male macs can be very territorial so multiple males can be a problem.

JosVermeulen

No, it's actually A. viejita, I have pics of it on this website. They got caught by Ernst Van Genne near Puerto Gaitan and I think Tom C also was there then, but I could be wrong.

And I wasn't asking about a harem or group of A. viejita, I have the pair there, but TDS is too high and I got tetras that would eat the fry anyways. I was just wondering if I could keep a group or harem of Dicrossus, and probably D. maculatus, since that seems to be the better option.

Tom C

5 Year Member
No, it's actually A. viejita, I have pics of it on this website. They got caught by Ernst Van Genne near Puerto Gaitan and I think Tom C also was there then, but I could be wrong....
You are right. We were at the type locality of A. viejita:

resizeimage.aspx

resizeimage.aspx

and we collected a few A. viejita:

resizeimage.aspx

There were some other species there too, Copellas and others:

resizeimage.aspx

and also these:

resizeimage.aspx

resizeimage.aspx

so putting a few Mikrogeophagus ramirezi in there would be more natural than adding a Dicrossus species.
There is a chanse that the A. viejita and the Mikrogeophagus ramirezi would communicate well, as they live in the same stream in the wild....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….