• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Juvenile apistogramma cacatuoides dying

Apistog6

Hi there I have had 4 female apisto suddenly die before they have had a chance to lay their eggs. It was their first time & every one of them died first. What would cause this? I have heaps of caves and plants I’m not sure what is going on.

MacZ

Please copy, paste and answer the template. But no guarantees, determining such things in hindsight is near impossible.

Apistog6

Please copy, paste and answer the template. But no guarantees, determining such things in hindsight is near impossible.
Hey hey , i recently added some new plants (a heap of javafern) to my 4ft tank and my female juvenile apistogramma population keeps decreasing by the day . Ive had them since they hatched back in aug .ive had the Tank set up since april . Theyre on a diet of drp1/2 , bbs & the occasional blood/black worms. Ph is around 6.8, 0 amonia, 0 nitrites and nitrates between 5-10, GH 6 , KH 3 . I have 20 ish apistos give or take , 3 danios , 2 dark knight rams . I havent seen any changes to their behaviour , theyre all eating as normal . Its happening to all egg carrying juvies and im at a loss on what to do . Once theyve died their stomach reddens & the eggs start to come out .

MacZ

Once theyve died their stomach reddens & the eggs start to come out .
That sounds rather like an internal parasite problem.

Plus the tank has a population density problem. Have you thought about thining out the population actively by rehoming fish, be it to other tanks or other owners?

Care to share a picture of the whole tank and some of the fish for clarification?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….