• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is this pop eye? Please help

Shawn619

I have what is supposed to be a male cacatuoides (I have doubts as I think he may be an agassizii) that has suddenly developed a very swollen eye, possibly both eyes. He an two females and what has turned out to be a sleeper male are in a very heavily planted tank. I perform 50% water changes weekly (yesterday) although do fertilize heavily between water changes. The tank is otherwise fine. He has pencil fish and ottos for tank mates. First, could anyone confirm pop eye or possibly something else? He was eating and looked fine yesterday but has not eaten today. Any assistance is greatly appreciated as I’m not very experienced with disease and treatment. Second, any thoughts on him infant being cacatuoides / agassizii / something else? They were purchased with the hope breedingwould take place but he has never seemed interested and nor has he ever been at all feisty. He’s always seemed to be the laziest male with at least two willing females. Fed very well lots of live food white and Grindal worms, BBS, daphnia, frozen food as well as flake and pellet. Thank you in advance

2AC63EB0-710B-4488-83BD-336D4FCA84DD.jpeg
2F815C00-EACF-4AAD-B121-16BC9F91036E.jpeg
7226981D-F03F-4625-B9AA-83248BCA9358.jpeg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Yes, it appears (from what I can see in the photos) that it is A. agassizii. And yes, its eyes are swollen. This is an internal bacterial disease in its later stage when visible externally and hard to treat from the outside. I'd suggest putting him in a separate hospital tank that is dimly lit and with optimum water values/conditions and hope for the best.

Shawn619

Unfortunately, he didn’t make it before I had a chance to give it a try. Sad because he was my favorite even though he turned out to not be what he was supposed to. Thanks for your help Mike. I’ll post in the appropriate thread the ID of the others as I think the females are cacatuoides but the sleeper male is another agassizii.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonaldStype

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….