• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is there a good hatchet fish for blackwater conditions ?

anewbie

It occurred to me that the aquarium i'm setting up for low ph will have a 48 inch ceiling (if that make sense); and therefore i don't have to worry so much about jumpers. Is there a decent blackwater hatchet fish for such an body of water? I think in earlier conversations i skimmed somewhere there was a great species for this but i had rejected them due to jumping... Not 100% sure which fishes are going in as it depends a bit on availability but likely a colony of a. bitaeniata or a. megaptera which will have an impact on aquarium temp - if bitaeniata - 76-78 range and if megaptera then around 81-83.

Tom C

5 Year Member
The one I've always found in blackwaters, is Carnegiella strigata.

Here from the Río Curaray (a southern (right side) tributary to the Río Napo) in Peru, collected together
with A. (cf.) bitaeniata:

resizeimage.aspx

resizeimage.aspx

anewbie

The one I've always found in blackwaters, is Carnegiella strigata.

Here from the Río Curaray (a southern (right side) tributary to the Río Napo) in Peru, collected together
with A. (cf.) bitaeniata:

resizeimage.aspx

resizeimage.aspx
Thank you Tom. IS there a nice pencil fish also found with a. bitaeniata; originally i was thinking rubrocaudatus or mortenthaleri due to colouring but perhaps if there is a species more appropriate i should rethink this selection.

MacZ

Technically all hatchets and pencils do fit the requirements. I'm checking for exceptions right now but I can't find any. Only thing I can imagine being a hindrance would be if you get wc fish from a whitewater area. Clearwater specimens (and species) should be fine also depending on the exact parameters you're aiming at. I doubt they won't.
And in terms of pencils nothing beats N. eques. :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….