• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is it safe to treat a tank with paraguard or similar parasite medicine ?

anewbie

I have an establish tank but living in a condo no qt tank; a few months ago i added some fishes (sparkling gourami); i now suspect (but have not evidence) of parasite in the tank. Are parasite medicine relatively gentle enough to treat the tank without imperative evidence of parasite actually being in the tank and if so which one do you recommend ? If there are parasite in the tank since i have not seen such i would suspect internal.

Some of the common medicines available here (usa) include:
fritz paracleanse
prazipro
expel-p
salt (i did treat this about 2 months ago as one of the fish showed ick; and while i cured the ick it did nasty things - i used 1 tablespoon - 29 gallon tank)

Thanks
(as a general rule i try to avoid medicines as they seem to mostly do more harm than good but i have some 'high' value fishes in that aquarium and i don't feel comfortable moving them to other aquariums do to this ?irrational? fear of parasite).

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I can't answer your specific question since I've never used any of the products. All I will say is that a small 10 gallon tank, sponge filter, pump and heater is cheap insurance for anyone who has only one other tank. It doesn't even need to be operating all of the time.

anewbie

I don't disagree Mike; all my tanks 'cept one use matten or sponge filters; but i just can't setup any more; in May after I move i will have all the room i want for any number of qt aquarium.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csteele

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….