• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Introduction from a new forum member, and a question...

K

Ken Cheatham

Hello there -

I live in Fairbanks, Alaska, and have been raising tropica fish for over 30 years. I recently started raising Apisto's and really love these little guys.

I currently have A. Agassizi, A. Hongsloi, A. Panduro, A. MacMasterei / A. Viejita, and A. Caucatoides. Most are in community tanks, but I have started setting up some individual breeding tanks.

The trouble here is not really having a good source for quality fish. The local pet stores bring some in, but they charge at their marked up price, and the quality of the fish is frequently lacking. I have brought other fish in myself (Discus, etc.) but haven't yet bought any Apisto's from breeders outside. I plan to do that eventually.

The question I have is about identification of one of my Apistos. I purchased it locally. It was in with a batch of juvenile Aggies (being sold as Caucatoides no less). I purchased several of the Aggies, and had to get it as well - can't pass up something different and unusual. I had thought it may actually turn out to be a Caucatoides, but it isn't like any of my others. I think it may be a Trifasciata, but I really can't tell. I think it is a male, and it did pair, and spawn with a MacMasterei in my 125# Discus tank. If anyone thinks they could help me with ID'ing it, I would be happy to email a photo. (If I can post one here, I don't know how!)

Thanks! Ken

K

Ken Cheatham

Thanks -

Matt,

Thanks for the info on posting a picture. I finally read the Forum FAQ's, and saw that to post one, I would have to link to a website. Unfortunately, I don't have a website on which to post a pic and link to.

Ken

mm12463

5 Year Member
Ken -

Talk to your internet provider if you have one at home, opposed to work as your only connection.

Most ISPs provide you a small but useful amount of web space you can use to upload your images and link here. It's worth a shot.

And boy I'm jealous of the fish you have, but not really jealous of the weather you get. I live in Minnesota and thought it was cold here! :D

K

Ken Cheatham

Thanks for the help, photos on the way!

Thanks for the information, and the offer to post a link. I have forwarded the pictures, and hopefully someone call let me know what they think! It's probably going to be something really easy for most, but with my limited experience I just can't be certain!

I will check out web space, so I can post future pictures myself. Now that it was mentioned, I believe I remember my ISP having something like that for subscribers.

All helpful information! Ken

aspen

5 Year Member
>>'I'm gunna say bitaeniata'

me too. he will get even nicer than that as he gets bigger. yellows will intensify as will the blue on the cheeks. they are shy fish and like very soft water for breeding. keeping 2 males in 1 tank proved to be a bad thing in my case for the subdominant male, even in a thickly planted 35 gal. i would pull the small male and keep him as a back-up. all of mine withered from intestinal flagellates, and they died. if i was to do that exp over, i'd have used medicated flake with met right off the bat. i do this with all new fish.

rick

K

Ken Cheatham

Thanks for all the help!

So, bitaeniata you think. Interesting! That is one I have never seen before, so I don't feel like a total idiot anyway. I am glad I ended up with it. I have never been one to be able to resist something if it is a bit different, and I could just tell when I purchased him that it wasn't a "usual" find for this area.

Thanks for the husbandry info as well. He is relatively shy, but not nervously so. He interacts rather well with all the other Apisto's in the tank, and like I said, he did pair with a MacMasterei, but has since not shown any interest in her (or her in him for that matter). Even though he is, at this point, one of my least colorful Apistos, I do enjoy him and he has become something of a favorite of mine in that particular tank.

Again, thanks for the info! It is MUCH appreciated!

Ken

2la

5 Year Member
A. bitaeniata is my favorite of all the apistos, and he will not be the least colorful for long! If you want to see his best coloration, put a pocket mirror up to the side glass--he'll put on a show like you wouldn't believe!

farm41

5 Year Member
I really like Bit. too, they are some very nice fish. The pic 2la has is one of the nicest I have seen too.

Neil

Ken Cheatham,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

Bitaeniata has quite a wide distribution and is imported pretty regularly, not just as a lone tag-along. Maybe you could mention this to your LFS and get them to keep their eyes open from now on. I would be suprised if their distributer/wholesaler has them on the list occasionally. It would be nice to has a girlfriend for your lone male!

Stay warm up there.

Neil

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJM_Aquatics

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….