• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Inbreeding?

lexi

I am new to breeding apistos and to fishI bought 3 juveniles and one adult male cacatuoides at the lfs, that all came from the same breeder. I figure it's safe to assume that the juveniles are siblings and the adult may be related as well. The dominant juvie male and the female seem to have paired off. I am 90% sure the 3rd juvie is a subdom male. All 3 are still in QT at the moment. I also have a female I bought at a different lfs 4 or 5 months ago.

I've noticed that most lfs' sell them as pairs and most people seem to buy multiple fish in one batch and see which ones pair off naturally from that group. Is it common practice to let siblings pair off and breed? Does it result in degradation of quality or health in the offspring?

My current options (after their qt is over) are

1. put the dominant juvenile male with my original female to see if they pair up.

2. Put the dominant juvie male and juvie female in with my original female for a small harem.

3. Leave the new juvenile pair together in their own tank and put the new adult male with my original female. I am worried about the size difference though. My female is still quite small, approx 1.5 inches and the adult male is about 3.5.

Attachments

• 20200615_114420.jpg
    20200615_114420.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 221

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….