• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

ID this apisto?

Small Fry

Hi All -

New to this forum and relatively new to keeping apistogrammas, but long-time aquarist. Recently saw this fish in an LFS labeled as A. agassizii. The rest of the tank was full of a. agassizii, but the clerk didn't know what it was or how it got in the shipment of the agassizii. He sold it to me for the same price, however. It's clearly a juvenile, but I'm not sure what it could be. Not quite an inch long. I have it in a community tank and it seems to be thriving. Any idea what it could be?

Thanks,
20200509_184837.jpg

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
I'm not very good at ID, but it looks to be in the Apistogramma resticulosa complex area. A."Steel-Blue" or A. "Wagenflecken"? @Mike Wise is your best bet for a definitive ID.

cheers Darrel

Small Fry

Darrel and Mike -

Thanks so much for this. I really appreciate the quick response! Not familiar with this species at all, but a quick google search confirms your ID, I think. Not sure what I'll do with him or how to find another, but he's a nice little fish.

Cheers,

Alan

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Darrel and Mike -

Thanks so much for this. I really appreciate the quick response! Not familiar with this species at all, but a quick google search confirms your ID, I think. Not sure what I'll do with him or how to find another, but he's a nice little fish.

Cheers,

Alan
It is often difficult to find females. My guess is yours is a male based on the head patterning.

cheers Darrel

Females and males usually look very similar when not in breeding dress. However yours does look male.
While females are still relatively rare they are more common not than they were in the past.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….