• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

id possible?

Bad-Daddio

5 Year Member
sorry but my camera is terrible, i wasn't able to get any clear pictures. ok, i admit, the camera is pretty good, i'm a terrible photographer. i did take a video that some of you might be able to make heads or tails of.

i bought these in june as F0 macmasteri. can someone confirm?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The look like A. cf. eunotus (Orangeschwanz/Orange-tail). What surprises me is that I don't see a split in any of the bar on the caudal peduncle, which I would expect on a eunotus form. Do you have any information on these fish?

Bad-Daddio

5 Year Member
thanks mike. i'll see if i can get any info from the supplier.

in the mean time, is the video clear enough? would it help if i was able to get clearer pics?

Bad-Daddio

5 Year Member
updated with info from supplier...

here is the email i received back from the supplier:

"The most I get out of the exporter is they are from northern Peru near the Ucayalili River. I no longer have any of these and not seen a pic of them colored up. These were looked at by Julio Melgar at the ACA who was an exporter from Peru at one time and did a lot of Apistos. While the ID on these were not in question we did have discussions on a couple of others that the ID is probably wrong with nothing being discussed on the McMasteri.
I hope this helps. If you have any other questions let me know."

Bad-Daddio

5 Year Member
updated with photos

i know these aren't the best but hopefully it helps...
unfortunately, the big daddy with the nice color and markings is shy and won't come out for pics...

DSCF0093.jpg

DSCF0096.jpg

DSCF0097.jpg

DSCF0101.jpg

DSCF0102.jpg

DSCF0106.jpg

DSCF0109.jpg

DSCF0113.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Ah, now I can see the split in Bar 6 (Look at the last photo. The next-to-last vertical bar on caudal peduncle shows it clearly. This species is A. cf. eunotus (Orangeschwanz/Orange-tail).

Bad-Daddio

5 Year Member
thanks a bunch mike!

after reading this, i looked at the picture about 10 times and couldn't figure out what you meant by the split. "he's crazy, but if he says there's a split, there must be a split".

i was showing the pics to a co-worker, and the split jumped right out at me, plain as day. i was looking for a horizontal split rather than a vertical one ;)

thanks again!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….