• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

ID help please

Naughts

Hello all,
I wonder if anyone can tell me the species of my apistogramma pair please? They were bought as macmesteri 'super red' and labelled as captive bred. I have been advised they could actually be viejita. Thank you :)

IMG_1677.jpg
IMG_1682.jpg

MacZ

They were bought as macmesteri 'super red'
They are Apistogramma macmasteri. "super red" is a tradename that may or may not apply to this domestic breed (they are not wild phenotype). While there is a proper species named Apistogramma viejita, which is not that easy to obtain, people have been calling domestic strains of A. macmasteri "viejita" because it sounds better and because they can charge more for a supposedly rarer fish (which A. macmasteri for sure isn't).
As for the sexes: You indeed have a pair.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….