• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I'd for wild caught Apisto sold as sp. Purple

Supercorygirl

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Hi new to apistos and having read quite abit on your forum I'm hoping for a little help iding a beauty of a dwarf I picked up at a lfs. They were sold to me as A. Sp. Purple and I fumbled my way into having them spawn. As I would like to sell any fry I manage to raise plus make sure I'm caring for them correctly would gratefully accept all help in iding. I currently have what I believe to be 2 pair in a 60G long style tank on a sand bottom with an AC 30 & 70 running, live plants light to moderate planting. Tank temp is 80 F, pH 7.2, kH 8, ammonia & nitrites 0, nitrates about 20ppm. The name is what the importer called them and would only give a collection site of Peru. Sorry if too much info but would really like to keep these beautiful fish going. I had thought these might be A. Sp. Pebas but I'm very new to apistos and highly doubt my skills at identifying. First pic is rearing female, last 2 are dominant male, sorry for quality taken on my cell phone and didn't want to disturb mom too much. Plus the pics really don't do justice to the gorgeous blue the male can display. Thanks in advance.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The photos aren't really good enough for a positive ID. If it's OK with you, I like to use your photo to explain the problems with IDing fish from certain photos. First, the photo quality is poor. I guess that's to be expected from a cell phone. They aren't really designed for close-up photography in low light conditions. Additionally the photo of the female hides important features (caudal spot, dorsal spots, caudal fin) that would help with ID. Photos of the males appear to be taken from above. This distorts the body form, which can be important in separating species (think the difference between A. sp. Papagei and A. sp. Roca Eterna). We don't need to mention problems when photos are too out-of-focus. Ideally photos for ID should show the fish in a 'broadside' position with its fins spread (not always possible, I know) and some that show the fish slightly stressed (to show dark markings). Dominant males almost always hide some dark markings under their dominance coloration. One can never provide too much information. Look at the sticky at the start of this forum section to see things that will help with ID.

Now, for your fish. From what I see, they're a eunotus-complex species. That, the Peruvian location, and the name "A. sp. Purple" make me think that you're right, that they are A. sp. Pebas. 'Purple' in Spanish is 'Morado'. One of the more commonly found color morphs of the species in the hobby is A. sp. Pebas (Morado). The pattern of lateral spots seems right for brooding Pebas females. To be certain, I would need to see the shape and size of the caudal spot/patch. If this is Pebas, then you've done well breeding them as a 'first apisto', especially at higher than typical water values. Keep it going!

Supercorygirl

Sorry about that, I've only recently started the photography side and in my haste forgot to peruse the stickys. I'll try to get some better shots tonight with a proper camera especially after reading into the identification process. Never realized how much there was to the process till now .

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Nothing to be sorry about. Like you say, there is a lot that goes into the process of IDing apistos. You certainly did better than those that send in 'not good enough' photos with no other information, and then ask for an ID.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….