• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

ID A. agassizi catching location

Cichlidmaniac

Hi all,

recently Aquarium Glaser imported some nice A. agassizi - unfortunately they labelled them just by "BRAZIL". Veeery specific... lol

My hope is that there might be someone in this forum who keeps/kept a similar agassizi and can help to identify the catching location.
OK: here are the pics...

thanks in advance,
Joerg

agassizi_m1 Kopie.jpg agassizi_m2 Kopie.jpg agassizi_f1 Kopie.jpg agassizi_f2 Kopie.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Look like A. cf. agassizii (Netz/Net). This form occurs in left hand (northern) tributaries of the Amazon, from the lower Rio Negro to the Atlantic coast.

Frank Hättich

5 Year Member
Sometimes it's difficult to distinguish A. cf. agassizii (Netz) from A. sp. Tefe. I'm not sure about this fish, but I think it could also be A. sp. Tefe. Joerg can you please show some more photos of the male, if possible while displaying or being aggressive.

Cichlidmaniac

Dear Mike and Frank,

thanks a lot for your replies!

I'll try to make some more pics when they settled in and start display. At the moment all (i got 1,2) are still a little bit shy and only come out when there is no movement in front of the tank. But the tank mates (Paracheirodon simulans and some juvenile Biotodoma wavrini) will do their job and take away the fear...

best regards,
Joerg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….