• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I was considering going a pair of triple red apistogramma

Xjcohenx

I would love some advice from those who have kept them successfully. I have a 15 gallon heavily planted , community, low tech tank, with soil substrate. I treat my tap water, I live in Los Angeles, with dechlorinator and ammonia remover. My PH is about 7.2, ammonia at 0, and nitrates < 2ppm. I don't know my GH. I am considering ordering a pair online. Would they survive in my tank?

Thank you!
20200504_123057.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Will they survive in your tank? Yes, they should survive fine - but you are adding a breeding pair of territorial cichlids to a community tank. The stress level will rise considerably once the female brings out fry. She will attack any other bottom-dwelling fish that enters her brood territory. Your Rummynose Tetras are exceptional fry predators so she will try to defend her fry from these, too, so expect her to attack them and expect few surviving fry. I always tell people, "a community tank is not a breeding tank". If you really want a pair of cacatuoides, then give them a breeding tank with suitable dither fish. If you want cacatuoides in a community tank, then add 1 or 2 males only.

Xjcohenx

Thank you for your reply! I appreciate it. I was going to get a pair so that the male has a companion. But if 2 males arent aggressive towards each other i will go that route.

Do they require sand substrate?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….