• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I have apistos!!!

ginnie5

5 Year Member
I got a trio of cacatuoides triple red. The females are really pretty drab right now. But I know they will color up. They are all over the tank. They prefer to wait on food to come to them though. The male is sooo cute when he flares out all his fins! One female is starting to get a little yellow to her. I have frozen bllodworms and brine shrimp to feed them but thought I'd do a week of medicated food first just in case. I have bacterial and antiparasitic food on hand. Should I do both? And should it be a week of each or one in the morning and the other at night? They're checking out the pvc caves I put in for them and generally just exploring the tank. Right now there are 3 cories and 3 ottos and 9 glo lites in there. I had planned on angels but I think I'm going to hold out for another tank for them. The cories are going to a 10g as soon as I get a heater for it. Now that I finally have apistos guess what? I want more!! I have the feeling that my house is going to be overflowing with tanks before I know it. Just have to remember to leave enough room for dh to sit down :lol:

Neil

I tend to agree with Matt. The fish that you are dealing with are not wild and will probably not present you with any specific disease problems, if they are going into a good environment. IMO there is no reason to introduce a stressful situation onto your fish unless you have some reason to. Give them bloodworm and brine shrimp and find a good (regular) flake that they will eat.
And by all means, have fun with these great fish. They will get nicer as time goes on and you will really want more! 8O
Neil

2la

5 Year Member
Well, I disagree with the blanket statement of not medicating unless fish they're sick: there are certain circumstances in which 'prophylactic' treatment is wise. I had 3 beautiful specimens of wild-caught A. bitaenata croak over a period of several months, and I strongly believe it to be due to internal parasites. I think for certain wild-caught fish (as Neil alludes to), pretreatment with antiparasitics is highly advisable.

apistodave

Staff member
5 Year Member
I have a fish buddy who pre treats it's called a prophylactic treatment and it's warranted in some situations, but it's best to go lightly with the anti-biotics

Nermal

5 Year Member
farm41 said:
I don't medicate unless my fish are sick.
Neil said:
....The fish that you are dealing with are not wild and will probably not present you with any specific disease problems....

The only time to "preventative treat" would be when internal parasites are suspected or likely as in wild caught fish or a fish has been exposed to a disease (another sick fish). The later treatment may even be questionable at times.

Treating preventatively for bacterial infections will likely result in aquireing a disease bacteria that is resistant to treatment at a time when it IS causing problems for the fish

heslipst

5 Year Member
speaking of internal parasites

Speaking of internal parasites, I am having a bout with some right now. Because I introduced cacatuoides and agasizzi almost one month ago, and am now seeing worms protruding from the anal area of my angel fish... I am assuiming my apistos brought a parasite in. I don't want to lose anymore fish, however my lfs is instracting me to use a very expensive garlic elixer to mix in with their food in order to eliminate this parasite.

Can anyone offer me any other options of how I can be rid of this parasite asap?

aspen

5 Year Member
the use of garlic is (imo) an old wives tale. if there are worms coming from the anus of the fish, then i would treat with panacur, since i have some on hand. alternatively, pipezine is also a useful treatment. i would strongly advise the proper use of any meds, therefore, the first thing to do, is to isolate all of the fish into a bare treatment tank. this is due to the likelihood of a large number of worms coming out. this can make a real mess in a planted tank. i can give you the directions for panacur if you need them and can find the med. pipezine is something i have never used, but is readily available as a cat and dog de-wormer in any pet store.

you may want to go to your fish store, and see it they have any of these meds, or praziquantal. then, when you are ready, i think we will be able to help you.

the other thing is, how to introduce the med. i get all of my fish eating my beefheart discus mix, because this seems to be the best food to mix powders into, where it won't just immediately dissolve into the water when you put it in the tank.

rick

heslipst

5 Year Member
I ended up getting some pipzine for my worm problem. I am going to read through the directions thoroughly. Do you have any recommendations though as to how I should give the medecine. I typically feed frozen brine and or flake and sinking pellets.

Thank you for your input so far. It has been very helpful.

Steve

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stripes

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….