• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How to make apistos more beautiful?

bamuse

I've had apistos for about 4 years and I want to know tips that make them jewel like ones in the wild.
I've tried feeding brine shrimps, minute creatures in a tank outside, using tropical almonds(there are lots of its trees near my house) and so on.

Now I'm wondering how you all do for apistos.
If you have great advice, pleas tell me:)

thanks in advance!

bamuse

There's not much to do, some species aren't as beautiful as others, some just don't have good genes. What apistogramma is this?

thanks for your comment. I am Japanese so I'm sorry for my poor English if you don't understand what I wrote.
I have a wild male Ap.agassizii "madeira porto velho" and I love apistos that prefer low pH such as Elizabethae and paucisquamis
but any advice about apistos is okay.

uberape

baby brine shrimps are better for colour, or there is cyclopeeze, but i can never get them to eat that personally. you can try decapsulated brine shrimp eggs they are pretty tiny but the fish sift through the sand and eat them that way.

gerald

5 Year Member
DARK colored sand and dark aquarium background helps bring out color in Apistos. Floating plants or tall plants with leaves that create a "ceiling" (Vallisneria) may also help. And of course a good diverse diet including some live foods and fresh cooked vegetables. (... and after that, there's photo-editing software!)

bamuse

thank you all for your advice!
although I don't know if they can survive without artificial foods, I'm going to keep apistos outside to see how they'll be in the wild.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
h1ns

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….