• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How to increase buffering/alkalinity (KH) but maintain pH

curviceps

5 Year Member
Hi there

Currently, I have my pH at roughly where I want to maintain it - around 6.6, using peat.

However, my alkalinity (carbonate hardness) is at 1 dKH. I am a bit concerned about the potential for pH crash given that pH buffering capacity is very low.

I do water changes once a week. However, from time to time, I need to travel and am worried I might have a pH crash if I am not able to provide the weekly water changes.

Firstly, should I be concerned?

Secondly, how could I increase the alkalinity to say, 4 dKH. Without surprise, increasing KH at the moment will and has increased my pH, given the level of CO2 in my water.

What should I do to get better buffering without increasing pH. I think I know the options - a) use phosphate buffer, b) use CO2 - but not sure how to proceed as both has its downside.

a) Phosphate buffers - my tank is mostly silk plants with a little bit of java moss and potentially a little bit more of anubias nana in the future. Phosphate buffers seem to be the easiest option, but will I have problems with algae?

b) CO2 - expensive and tedious given I don't really need this for plants, just for pH control. Any suggestions on a "minimal" setup that is cheap and does the job?

c) Any other options or suggestions?

Cheers
Tim

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The dKH out of my tap is <1º. As long as my tanks get regular weekly water changes, light feedings, and low population density, I have no pH crashes.

L

lemonlime

Ah, a question I may be able to help with! I've be researching plantedaquaria a lot the past few weeks.. so heres my answer!

To raise kH use baking soda (sodium bicarbonate). One teaspoon will increase the kH of 50 liters of water (13 gallons) by 4 degrees (68 ppm). ... some arithmetic will be involved

The addition will have no major effect on the pH.. but test ..perhaps a tenth or so..
no affect on gh.. of course

note: sodium bicarbonate contains sodium duh, which isn't good for fish in quanity..but a few dkh points would be fine!

As Mike pointed out, with normal maintenance and proper feeding etc a ph crash is unlikely... You are fortunate to have such soft water!
My city buffers our water with orthopolyphosphates to a kh of ~3

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sortof_here

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….