• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

how many of you thought agassizi would only spawn in a cave?

skwelch

5 Year Member
well to be honest, i thought that too but.......

today i started my usual weekly water change routine in my little apisto tank and stuck on the side of the bracket that the filter attaches too were about 30 little bright pink eggs, amazing!
but very surprising, i think the pair have had a cple of failed attempts at other spanwing sites, including in the mini terrecotta pot in the tank, so it seems the female didnt like it in there and has tried a more 'out in the open' site this time, probably due to the secure feeling of there being nothing else in the tank just plants
interesting dont you think that they chose this site tho, anyone else seen them stick eggs out in the open??

so now i'd better get some food ready just in case the littluns hatch
any good suggestions??, the only thing ive never tried is buying bottles of liquifry food stuff, might try it this time seeing as raising or buying mini foods is a bit of a hassle and not always successful, what do the breeders out in apistogramma.com land do then??
fingers crossed

farm41

5 Year Member
Get some bbs going, real easy to do. There is plenty of topics on it already, just do a search for bbs on this forum.

Rolo

5 Year Member
Hi,

well, that's not that unusual.
I had a Mac-female, breeding in a tank with lots of young Macs an Aggies.. not in a cave, but in the middle of the tank wide open in a group of three stones...

ap_macmasteri_gelege.jpg

I also had a Ap. hongsloi female, breeding on a root, close to the water surface at the top of the tank. ...even though there were lots of caves.
It was a silly thing to do, because I could't change water then ;-)

..and so on... ;-)

greetings,
Rolo

Zapisto

5 Year Member
Rolo said:
I also had a Ap. hongsloi female, breeding on a root, close to the water surface at the top of the tank. ...even though there were lots of caves.
It was a silly thing to do, because I could't change water then ;-)

..and so on... ;-)

greetings,
Rolo

rolo ,

she just want to tell you the water was fine.
so she search a way to make you understand :)

sorry, but the fish can surprise us big time.

skwelch

5 Year Member
do you think it is something to do with the feeling of security
if the fem feels the eggs will need more protection they will choose a cave, but if the fem feels there is no threat will happily spawn in the open

having said that, she has moved the eggs out of view this afternoon

when i got home from work they were gone and i thought arggggggh bugger
but then as i watched more closely she was still hovering in the front of the bracket of the filter and wont let the male go anywhere near it
im pretty sure she has moved them out of site

btw, i bought some liquifry (interpet) and some very small high protein food (jbl) today if they hatch as i really cannot be hassled with bbs this time, id have to splash out on a new air pump as i'm using all my other at the moment
could be interesting

Christine-FishGrrl

5 Year Member
I had a pair of Aggies that did the same thing - laid her eggs on a (vertical) Amazon sword leaf. Unfortunately, she ate the eggs and was later killed by the male. :(

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….