• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How long does it take cacotoides fry to be able to be sold

Andreas

How long does it take cacotoides fry to be a sellable size.
And if I want a pair sould I buy like 4 juveniles and let them pair off.
Btw sorry for so many questions.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
When apistos are salable size depends on many factors, but the primary one is who wants them and are they willing to buy small, unsexed fish (like me). Most hobbyists want fish that are mature enough to be sexable and show some adult features (color, fin shape, etc.). Most apistos take 6+ months before they are mature enough to show such feature. If, however, you are willing to put time into increased feeding, larger grow-out tanks (space/fry), and maintenance (water changes, etc.), then for cacatuoides I've heard people claim they can be salable at 90 - 100 days. All this extra work = extra $, so you have to decide if it's worth your while.

Me? I would buy as many juveniles/young adults from a trusted breeder as I could afford to buy and properly maintain. Then pick the best to breed when they fully matured and move (sell/trade) extras. For me, apisto breeding is more of a marathon and not a sprint. This is why most domestic apistos are produced by hobbyist/breeders and not by commercial fish farms.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….