• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How can I identify good botanicals?

Eberns

Hey guys!

How can I identify good botanicals to put in my tank? Today I'm using guava leaves and katappa leaves with some wood bought in a LFS.

I found this palm tree here, and I'm considering using it also. Who can I know if it's safe?

Thanks
IMG_20200829_114145.jpg
IMG_20200829_114135.jpg

Drayden Farci

5 Year Member
In my experience, make sure the fronds or leaves are certainly dried, then use only part of it the tank during a period when you are able to monitor. I have used dried palm fronds before with success. However, one time I put too much in at once, or perhaps they were not completely dried and sugar-free, and I noticed several hours later that my tetras were gasping at the surface. A heavy water change, removal of fronds, and some additional filtration fixed the issue. I cut the fronds into smaller pieces and added them back the following week, and the fish loved them.

Your fronds should be fine, I just recommend proceeding with caution. Don't overdo it even if it looks safe or you've done it before.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….