• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How can i feed Ram fry

Tahacan96

Hi,
My ramirezi's 5. day ago breeding but how i can feed fry's ? sera micron yem or egg yolk ??

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Yes, you could use these. Just be very careful to not over-feed, which will pollute the water and kill the fry. It would be better if you started with a culture of infusoria or rotifers. These live foods shouldn't pollute the water and are preferred by the fry. Good luck with your eggs!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Decapsulated artemia eggs might be too large for the fry for the first few days. If you have a sponge filter or a lot of plants in the aquarium, many of the fry might survive until they can eat the eggs. Start feeding small amounts when the fry become freeswimming. Still, live foods are always better and safer to use.

Tahacan96

My aquarium 1 week ago enlarge
IMG_1452.JPG

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Nice planted tank, it is a bit clean and aseptic for the the fry though. They are quite tricky and what you really need for Ram fry is a large chunk of moss, which has a reasonable amount of "biofilm" present, and a few dead Oak leaves, ideally already slightly skeletonized (but not too much). I also like a bit of "periphyton" or "biofilm" (algae if you like) although it isn't to every-ones taste. Are you in the UK? if you are PM me and I can send some suitable moss.

This tank belonged to a Polish member (PiotrK?) and you don't have to go quite this far, although I love it as a look.
akwai.jpg

One advantage is that the moss and leaf surfaces snag the food squeezed out of Mike's sponge filter. Filter sponges are a great source of rotifers for example, and I use the "filter squeezings and moss" method for a lot of small fry.

Have a look at these posts: <http://www.apistogramma.com/forum/index.php?threads/blue-ram-fry-questions….8536/#post-47876> & <www.apistogramma.com/forum/index.php?threads/fry-tank-setup.12123/>

cheers Darrel

Tahacan96

thnx for answers,i living Turkey.
And i have planted tank.
Apistogramma bitaeniata coming in turkey two week after the next.
i setup this aquarium. İ have alot of catappa,javamoss, mangrove and many woods

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Not really unusual for this species. Cause? No one really knows; some pairs do, some don't. This is why most commercially produced Rams are raised separate from the parents.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sortof_here

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….