• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hongsloi

yukondog

5 Year Member
My Hongsloi pair have been taking turns sitting in the coconut, her color started turning a ever so slight yellow and both were in the coconut for about 24 hrs., she came out yesterday and he was in it with just his nose hanging out now she has went back to her normal color and she has been in there all day, I'm assuming that there are eggs but my question is if there are eggs should she not be more yellow than brown and is normal for the male Hongsloi to share duty's?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Female apistos usually don't allow anything in their cave if it has eggs - including the male. Obviously the opening is larger than it needs to be. I haven't bred A. hongsloi in about 30 years so I really am fuzzy about how yellow females turn. My guess is that they might have spawned, but the eggs are now gone due to disturbance in the breeding cave. Hopefully I'm wrong.

yukondog

5 Year Member
No I think your right about the eggs being gone, thanks for the reply, the female Borellii was like that but the male has been sharing the care. Better luck next time, but generally is the male normally removed with apistos as a rule?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I don't remove males unless absolutely necessary. It just disturbs the brooding female too much when I try. Usually it only takes 2 or 3 attempts before the female learns how to discourage a male from bothering her and her brood.

yukondog

5 Year Member
Thank, with the Borellii the female has no problem putting the male in his place but with the Hongsloi the male is way more dominant than the female and about 3 times as big.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….