• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hongsloi Flashing?

Duffmanj

Hi guys,

I've read that flashing can be a sign of parasites etc if frequent - my Hongsloi have been displaying this behaviour recently, but not on a regular basis.

The tank is fairly well established now, around 10 weeks or so, fish-in cycle with media from another tank, slowly built up the population.

Overall they seem fairly happy - certainly the rummynose/pencilfish/oto's that I have in there are and are displaying no unusual or stressful behaviour (rummynose are brighter than ever). The Hongsloi on the whole seem happy, although from time to time they do go quite dark. The male seems to hover at an angle, is this normal?

VOJ7St6.jpg

Also, if anyone has a video showing what's considered the normal breathing rate I'd be grateful.

All and any help or advice appreciated!

JB.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The head downward position is usually seen as a sign of threat/aggression, but they usually have their fins spread wide. Flashing means that the fish has an itch. Ican be caused by many factors - pH, nitrogen cycle, parasites, etc.

bamuse

I usually change one third or a half of water and add 1~2 percent of salt just in case when I confirm the symptom.
i hope it doesn't come about because of columnaris, aeromonus or a fatal thing

gerald

5 Year Member
If he keeps his fins folded against his body most of the time, like in your picture, that could be a sign of stress or disease. Just after eating a big meal, fish will often breathe faster for 5 or 10 minutes, but then the breathing rate should go back to normal. High temperature or added CO2 will also make them breathe faster. Look at some YouTube videos of dwarf cichlids to get an idea of "normal" breathing.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
If he keeps his fins folded against his body most of the time, like in your picture, that could be a sign of stress or disease
Clamped fins are never a good sign, and I don't think he looks quite "right" either, but I'm not sure what is wrong with him. Do you feed them much live food?

cheers Darrel

Duffmanj

Cheers guys, fins aren't folded all the time but are occasionally. Breathing seems normal I think.

I feed frozen food not often live, topped up with the odd bit of granules or something similar.

Any recommendations on preventative treatment?

Duffmanj

Also, I agree with the not looking 'quite right' but I can't for the life of me work out what it might be.

He's eating well, chasing the female occasionally (but no aggression), water quality is good, dither fish in the tank too (rummynose and hockeystick pencils). It's reasonably well planted with plenty of hiding spaces, although he never hides, including some floating plants, and there is very little flow. He's still flashing today but I don't see him do it very often.

I'm a bit wary of adding salt to the tank, though I haven't done much research on it to this point. Anyone able to point out the benefits/risks of this?

Thanks again.

Duffmanj

I'm inclined to agree, thank you for the reference!

Will have the opportunity to pick up some meds tonight so any advice in advance would be awesome.

Cheers

Duffmanj

So, I've treated some health guard tonight, to try and stem it a bit. He seems to have some small (although concerning :-() red patches around his face that I'm pretty sure weren't there before. Its hard to tell as he's quite red there anyway! I also noticed that his dorsal looks a bit raggedy.

I have treatment for both parasites, fungus and bacteria, which includes fin rot etc, in two treatments. Is there any harm in treating half a dose of each?

He's also not really eating, for the first time.

Duffmanj

All treatments are by lovefish, I have health guard (applied), whitespot and parasite, and fungus and bacteria. He is now resting on the bottom, dorsal displaying.

Hoping for a bump, please?

ChuckinMA

If he were my fish, I would not do a half dose on any medicines targeting gill / fluke type parasites since your first clue that something was wrong was the flashing but you're not seeing the telltale signs of ich. I've used Prazipro in response to flashing and saw an improvement in 24 hours.

Were any of the Apisto's wild caught specimens?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Not using the full recommended doses not only doesn't help, but produces a stronger, more virulent disease organism by killing off the weak ones and allowing the more drug-resistant ones to reproduce and increase. It's the same reason why some older antibiotics don't work on fish - and people - anymore.

IMPO using medication without having at least some idea of the problem is a bad idea, especially in a community tank where none of the other fish have a problem. You could be causing more problems than helping, by turning its water into a chemical soup.

Duffmanj

Thank you for the advice. So far I've only treated health guard which does seem to have helped some, his colour has improved dramatically, but he's resting on the bottom of the tank still. He is eating which is also an improvement.

Still waiting for more evident symptoms but nothing has appeared, be that a good or bad thing.

Reactions: Tph

Duffmanj

Oh I've also checked out prazipro, thanks for the advice, but it doesn't seem that readily available in the uk from first look.

Pic today

aOZdEb3.jpg

And no, none of them are wild caught I don't think

Last edited:

Duffmanj

Couple of close up pics. There don't seem to be any other symptoms developing, just ragged(ish) dorsal fin, being lethargic/turning dark and flashing. Both him and the female are flashing a lot now although she's far far more active than him, and I'm sure I saw the rummynose doing the same last night.

Still haven't treated, only added health guard.

qEmVfIt.jpg

vM5u8Yg.jpg

ChuckinMA

The active ingredient in Prazipro is praziquantel. Perhaps a veterinarian could help you source it in the UK? I'd been concerned by the repeated flashing and that it seems to be spreading to other fish in the tank.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
If these were my fish, I'd put them in a hospital tank and perform 25% water changes every day for a week or 2 and see how they respond. The behavior of the fish are typical of those in tanks with 'old' water. If this is the cause, then adding medications just makes it worse.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sortof_here

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….