• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hongsloi female

yukondog

5 Year Member
I ordered a pair of Hongsloi, the female I received looks nothing like the female I have, there body shape is the same, the dorsolateral line is not a zipper shape but more solid, has the stripe through the eye but body color is not the mottled brown but blue colored, does this sound right?

yukondog

5 Year Member
Caught it and looked at it better, the line does have a zipper shape, but its blue as blue can get.
The new male and female [original female] are fighting, it looks like the female is the aggressor and she turned yellow while I was watching them, the new female is smaller also if that helps any.

yukondog

5 Year Member
P1010020.JPG

rappaz

5 Year Member
The male looks like a hongsloi for me, but i think the first female is a macmasteri "viejita" (not the true apistogramma viejita, an apistogramma macmasteri that is sold as viejita) but i'm not 100% sure with those pictures, take some more if you can

sorry for my bad english

rappaz

5 Year Member
I still can't say anything for sure... wait for mike wise or another expert member to help you

yukondog

5 Year Member
I tried to post it again, did anything work ok , I guess just because I can see it doesn't mean anybody else can. When it come to computers I suck at it.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Well from what I see now I can't say what they are. The photos don't show any real diagnostic features on the fish. I will say this, however. Don't worry too much about the body color since there are domestic 'A. hongsloi' that can be yellow or bluish. Body shape can be a problem, too. The domestic strains of this fish were in all likelihood developed by crossing several different forms/(species?). Some were slender, some deep-bodied.

yukondog

5 Year Member
So do you think all three of them are Hongsloi and can you tell if the two are females? I know the bottom left is a male the blue one. Someone told me that the top center one might be a Macmastri , from what I've been reading and looking up the Hongsloi is in that group, if so will the hongs and Mac cross breed? Don't want to, I prefer to keep all the same.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….