• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

hongsloi and agassizi question

jase101

5 Year Member
the situation: a 2 ft breeding take, one pair of hongsloi. a 6ft tetra tank, also with a pair of hongsloi.

i'm picking up a pair of agassizi next week, and will either add them to the 6 foot OR put the 2 pairs of hongslois together in the 6 ft and put the agassizi in the 2 ft.

anyone have any comment on which they'd do and why?

thanks in advance,

justin

jose_vogel

5 Year Member
If yours A. hongsloi are paired, I´ll put the A. agassizzi in the 6 ft. tank.

But if yours A. hongsloi aren´t paired and you want to breed them, I´ll mix the four A. hongsloi to get them paired and after that I´ll separate them.

bigbird

5 Year Member
gday justin,

I agree, if paired let them stay, if not put all 4 into the 6ft tank.
Where did you get the hongsloi from ? I just lost my female and would like to have her replaced for my 5ft tank.

cheers jk :biggrin:

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
A. hongloi do not form pairs. The males are harem spawners & will breed with any female in their territory. I really don't think it matters much which fish that you combine. Just remember to rearrange the aquarium decor. The fish in the present tanks will consider them as their own personal territory. Any new fish will be considered interlopers.

gingerbeer

5 Year Member
I would be inclined to put them in the 2 footer by themselves to quarantine them - before adding to main tank.

jase101

5 Year Member
thanks for the suggestions - yes, they'll be quarantined - picking up tomorrow! bigbird, the hongsloi are from bondi aquapets and are very nice.

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
Those are large tanks for a pair or two of Apistogramma spp. If you are wanting to breed them in colonies and raise the fry together with the breeders then the large tanks are appropriate. If these are community tanks then you are unlikely to raise many fry from any spawns and it doesn't really matter how you allocate them.
A trio in a 12X30 or 12X36 inch tank will work better for breeding them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkalmanson

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….