• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hi

Cal

Hi,

I'm utterly new to this. My husband has a new tank and asked me if I'd like to pick a fish! I picked an apistogramma sunburst male and two females. They were all living very happily with some tetras, and few rainbows. It's a heavily planted tank (55 gal) and both of my girls had fry which was a lovely surprise. We then added two pairs of pearl gourami. All good so far! Unfortunately we had a worm infection bought in (we think) by a wild caught whiptail. My beautiful apistogrammas were wiped out, all the fry were gone (or so we thought!)

We treated the tank and have waited. We lost my three lovelies, four female rainbows and two tetra. The tank is now stable and we've had no other losses or signs of illness.

So, tonight we went to replace my apistogramma! I went for a beautiful double red cacatuoides male and two females. BUT, I don't think one of the females is what the shop said she is! I need your help! I've managed to get a photo of my male and my suspicious female. My other female is almost certainly a female cacatuoide but I haven't managed to get a picture yet.

The really strange bit is while I was happily watching the three newbies settle tonight I spotted a very very small apistogramma! About 1cm, very dark, full stripe down it's middle. I can only think that it's a fry that survived!!! I'd really like some advice about that too! (No Picture yet but I'll try!)

Picture 1, my original sunburst :(
Picture 2, my new double red
Picture 3, my anonymous fishy!

Huge huge thanks!!
Cal
20220303_212737.jpg

20220408_192744(0).jpg
20220408_212033_resized.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Welcome to the forum. The top photo is a male Orange Flash A. cacatuoides, the middle is most likely a male Triple-red A. cacatuoides and the bottom photo is a male A. agassizii. I imagine your original Sunburst Apistos were A. agassizii and this is a surviving offspring of the trio.

Reactions: Cal

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….