• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help with selection

Me&Fishy

Hi,

We are new to this hobby and recently my wife and myself went to a LFS and was mesmerize by all these fanciful apistogrammas.

After a round of shortlisting, we have decided on getting either one of the below :

A pair of A.Ortegai Morado Blue
A tio of Borelli Opal (1 Male 2 Females)

As we are new to the world of apistogramma. Can we ask which of the above would be more suitable for us to kickstart this hobby. Wife prefer morado blue and myself borelli opal.

Current setup : 17 gallon tank with soil substrate and some plants with a few hiding place.

Would appreciate all kind advise.

Thank you.

Attachments

• 20230523_181231.jpg
    20230523_181231.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 109

MacZ

17 gallon tank with soil substrate and some plants with a few hiding place.
Presumed tank dimension rule out the A. ortegai. The tank is also much too open and offers too little structure / breaks of sight lines for Apistogramma in general. The substrate is also less than ideal (fine sand would be optimal).

So a pair of A. borellii (includes "Opal") would be the only option I can recommend with a clean conscience, regardless of any other options. They are the only species that's suitable for that tank size. A single male might be an alternative if you don't care for breeding.

Me&Fishy

Presumed tank dimension rule out the A. ortegai. The tank is also much too open and offers too little structure / breaks of sight lines for Apistogramma in general. The substrate is also less than ideal (fine sand would be optimal).

So a pair of A. borellii (includes "Opal") would be the only option I can recommend with a clean conscience, regardless of any other options. They are the only species that's suitable for that tank size. A single male might be an alternative if you don't care for breeding.
Thank you for the kind advise.

Me&Fishy

Hello,
Protecting eggs maybe ? Is she yellow like a lemon ?
She is yellowish and very protective of her pot. Driving everything away within 7cm radius. Just had her for like a week only.

arrow showing her location.

20230531_221155.jpg

Last edited:

MacZ

Is this consider lemon yellow?
Not really, or does your camera filter out yellows? Alternatively the tank lights might have a too strong red tint.

She is yellowish and very protective of her pot. Driving everything away within 7cm radius. Just had her for like a week only.
Very likely either having eggs or preparing to spawn. Often Apistos spawn right after purchase, and then take a break for a while.

Me&Fishy

Not really, or does your camera filter out yellows? Alternatively the tank lights might have a too strong red tint.

Very likely either having eggs or preparing to spawn. Often Apistos spawn right after purchase, and then take a break for a while.
Could be my camera and lighting issue. Manage to take another after luring her with some food.

20230531_223932.jpg

MacZ

Yeah, she's gravid with eggs. Full wasp-mode/terror-lemon is to be expected in a few days.

MacZ

I'll buy some sponge tomorrow to reduce the filter suction.
Not necessary, she'll keep them away from the filter.

Are you prepared for a growout tank/tote? You can't leave them in that small tank. (provided they make it further than some days.)

Me&Fishy

Not necessary, she'll keep them away from the filter.

Are you prepared for a growout tank/tote? You can't leave them in that small tank. (provided they make it further than some days.)
I have a spare 17 gallon in my store room.

I'll probably start cycling it with aged tank water tomorrow morning. If 17 gallon is too small, buying a 3ft tank could be an option too.

anewbie

Definitely 'yellow' for borelli and has or will spawn. Likely she has spawn since she is not eating - she may not eat for up to 10 days - though sometime they will sneak out and grab something if it is near the entrance of her cave.

MacZ

aged tank water
Not going to cut it. Either move filter media from the established tank or at least take the sponges from the established filter and press them out into the new tank.

The other tank might be too small. Be ready to do waterchanges every two days by the end. Also check bak with your local store if they take them. If not you will have to either find homes for each one individually or prevent further breeding.

But first wait out if there are going to be any fry in the first place.

Me&Fishy

Not going to cut it. Either move filter media from the established tank or at least take the sponges from the established filter and press them out into the new tank.

The other tank might be too small. Be ready to do waterchanges every two days by the end. Also check bak with your local store if they take them. If not you will have to either find homes for each one individually or prevent further breeding.

But first wait out if there are going to be any fry in the first place.
Have some questions,

1. Should I stop water change for the next few days?

2. Ordered some plants on tuesday and will arrive tomorrow. Should I continue to plant them? The plants are attached below. My intention is to provide more cover and reduce straight line of sight.

Thank you!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230601_084227.jpg
    Screenshot_20230601_084227.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 67

MacZ

Will it disturb the female or shock her?
You're overcautious.

Disturb... well, probably, as long as you don't move the cave nothing should happen.

Shock... I won't list possibilities how to shock fish but be assured: A waterchange done right or some plants won't shock a fish.

You are positive you want to go through with breeding? You are aware that this is a commitment?

Me&Fishy

You're overcautious.

Disturb... well, probably, as long as you don't move the cave nothing should happen.

Shock... I won't list possibilities how to shock fish but be assured: A waterchange done right or some plants won't shock a fish.

You are positive you want to go through with breeding? You are aware that this is a commitment?
Probably I think too much.

Too late to back off now. Will be a long term hobby I guess.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….