• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help with pencilfish on new nano tank setup

rogero

Hi all,

I'm a beginner setting up a 7 gallon planted tank originally with the idea of keeping only a pair of apisto.

However, I learned that it may be better to add pencilfish as dither so that male won't be too aggressive to the female.

Thus, I introduced 6 beckfordi var red to the tank before I want to add the apisto.
However, while the pencilfish hangs out in the open and in front of the tank most of the time and is not afraid of me staring at them, they looks skittish to me.
Any accidental tap on the tank with a metal tweezer will send into a frenzy dash that looks like knocking onto the glass.

The other livestock currently in the tank is 1 red spotted nerite and 1 horned nerite.

My questions are
1) I have problem feeding them
with slow sinking micro pellets, only those that drop directly in front of them, they will eat, else, the food will go into the gravel substrate.
with flakes, it will float around till it sink as they need a long time finding the food
So, how and what should I feed them with?

2) should I introduce other tank mates too? particularly otocinclus?

3) is the tank ready to introduce the apisto with the dither fish in the current condition?
if not, until what conditions are observed do I know the tank is ready?

I'm not looking for a particular species of apisto, but rather a pair with the best behavior towards each other available.
However, if there is any species that I should look into, please feel free to suggest.

Thanks.

MacZ

The tank is simply too small. The fish are like sitting ducks and under permanent stress.

I would neither keep Nannostomus beckfordi in it, nor would I keep a pair of Apistogramma in it. And Otocinclus will rather starve, as thanks to the snails there will be no aufwuchs for them to eat.
So, how and what should I feed them with?
Besides small pellets, live or frozen: Artemia (adult or freshly hatched), Daphnia, Cyclops, white mosquito larvae.
2) should I introduce other tank mates too? particularly otocinclus?
NO!
3) is the tank ready to introduce the apisto with the dither fish in the current condition?
Sorry, but no.
if not, until what conditions are observed do I know the tank is ready?
Get a bigger tank. The stocking would be fitting to an 80 liter / 20 gallon tank. And I can only recommend getting one before even thinking about Apistogramma.

Can you post a picture so it can at least be cleared whether you have the right kind of decoration, substrate and structure?

rogero

The tank is simply too small. The fish are like sitting ducks and under permanent stress.

I would neither keep Nannostomus beckfordi in it, nor would I keep a pair of Apistogramma in it. And Otocinclus will rather starve, as thanks to the snails there will be no aufwuchs for them to eat.

Besides small pellets, live or frozen: Artemia (adult or freshly hatched), Daphnia, Cyclops, white mosquito larvae.

NO!

Sorry, but no.

Get a bigger tank. The stocking would be fitting to an 80 liter / 20 gallon tank. And I can only recommend getting one before even thinking about Apistogramma.

Can you post a picture so it can at least be cleared whether you have the right kind of decoration, substrate and structure?
Thanks for the candid feedback.

I'll keep this tank with the current livestock and mainly as a planted tank as it is now without adding.

I do have a 20 gallon planted tank with cardinal tetra and oto, but I'm not sure if I would want the apisto there.

Thus, I would wait until I'm ready with another 20 gallon.

Thanks and really appreciate your feedback.

MacZ

You're welcome.

I hate to tell people their tanks are too small or unsuitable, but ultimately it's about the fishes wellbeing and not what we as their respective owners want.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….