• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help with ID

Ttw

5 Year Member
I have been going through my archives and have come across photos of Apistos that I have doubts as to their ID. There are a number so I will submit them one at a time.
This is a fish I obtained in 1986 from a small fish shop with no identification. No info on collecting site or other helpful info. Not a great photo but the fish has a pale blue
cast with the lines on the face dark red. What do you think? fullsizeoutput_c21.jpeg

Frank Hättich

5 Year Member
Difficult to tell without visible abdominal markings and without seeing the caudal pattern clearly. It might be A. sp. Wangenflecken or some form of A. cf. caetei or depending on whether A. sp. Steel-blue already existed at that time, also the latter. I'm curious what Mike thinks about this fish.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Well there was no Steel-blue in 1986 so we can rule that out. Tom, I am pretty sure this is the species originally imported as "A. resticulosa" (now we know it is A. sp. Wangenflecken). Not only is the lateral band and caudal spot correct, but I still have a photo of "resticulosa" that Joan Glasscock (remember her?) sent me back then that looks just like your fish.

Ttw

5 Year Member
Good. I had resticulosa written on the back of the picture. Appreciate verification. Joan Glasscock... a name from the past.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….