• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help With H. sp. Moanda

Ekona

5 Year Member
I received three Hemichromis sp. 'Moanda" as 1 male and 2 females. I have them separated as they were fairly aggressive toward each other.

Here are photos of the three fish.

First fish - largest and most dominant fish - I thought this was a male because of larger size, dominance and more colors in dorsal and caudal fins.
DDBfTY.jpg

m3qUTM.jpg

Second fish - I thought was a female do to smaller size, lesser colors on body and in dorsal and caudal fins.
gkw1V2.jpg

9rmPUu.jpg

Third fish - I'm thinking a smaller male because of having more color and spangling on body and colors in dorsal and caudal fin. Especially the spangling on the scales of the body - more so than the other two.
cDfEaN.jpg

But then I was surprised to see the first larger fish had laid (by itself ) a plaque of eggs!
cSytRt.jpg

Anyone care to weigh in on males or females in this group of three - tip: the first fish is pretty easy ;)

gerald

5 Year Member
Great to see you here again! Thought we'd lost you to the licorice world.
I've never kept Moanda but based on familiarity with other jewels I'm guessing those are all females. IME (many years ago) male jewel cichlids have yellower fins vs redder in females (these all look more red); and more dense blue spangles on the cheeks (but not necessarily on the body and fins). None of these seem to have noticeably denser spangles on the cheeks than your 1st (female) fish.

aarhud

5 Year Member
Beautiful fish.

Where did you pick these up if you don't mind me asking? Are you going to be able to source males if you indeed have all females?

Ekona

5 Year Member
Great to see you here again! Thought we'd lost you to the licorice world.
I've never kept Moanda but based on familiarity with other jewels I'm guessing those are all females. IME (many years ago) male jewel cichlids have yellower fins vs redder in females (these all look more red); and more dense blue spangles on the cheeks (but not necessarily on the body and fins). None of these seem to have noticeably denser spangles on the cheeks than your 1st (female) fish.

Thanks, G, and yes it's been a while. And now I also agree they are all females. Was not aware of the spangling on the cheeks being a clue to M/F, so very helpful.

To aarhed - I got these at Wetspot - they were the last three. However, I believe Jeff@aquaticclarity may have them in stock.

gerald

5 Year Member
Hopefully others with Moanda-Jewel-specific experience will chime in. The clues I offered are just very generic "jewel cichlid" observations and might not apply so well to this species.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….