• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help to id wild apisto

Glauce

Hello! :)
So, a friend offered me a gift when he found my love for dwarf cichids. He says have some kind of small lakes in a farm, and that have an apistogramma species living and reproducing there. I thanks A LOT if you can help me to id them!

IMG-20181023-WA0047.jpg

This one was shown first, in several pics, none that good. But the guy made me think this is the apisto he's talking about. Could not find id to it, but then...

IMG-20181023-WA0054.jpg

He sent another pic, and now I see what looks like male and female of A. barlowi maybe?

So, it's an A. barlowi on second pic? The less coloured is an A. barlowi female?
And hell, what fish is the very blue coloured one in both pics? It's an A. barlowi with reproductive colours, another apisto species, or it's not an apistogramma but other fish?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Does your friend live in southern Brazil, Paraguay, Uruguay, or Argentina? What you have are 2 males and a female that probably is A. borellii, too. The 2 at the bottom fish are males and different color forms that often are found together in the wild. The male on the left is the common color form; the one on the right is less common form, often sold as A. borellii (Opal).

Glauce

Does your friend live in southern Brazil, Paraguay, Uruguay, or Argentina? What you have are 2 males and a female that probably is A. borellii, too. The 2 at the bottom fish are males and different color forms that often are found together in the wild. The male on the left is the common color form; the one on the right is less common form, often sold as A. borellii (Opal).

Hi Mike! Yes, me and my friend lives in southern Brazil. But the fish is not on it's type locality, was shopped from somewhere else, so not much to help with this. Well, A. borelli looks amazing gift to me. I'll ask the guy more pics of them!

I don't have room for them now, my main tank already have 8 dwarf cichlids, being 1 A. cacatuoides and 1 A. trifasciata. They're doing pretty very good, don't want to mess with this community.
Then, the thought is to make a reproductive tank for them. This species makes couples? Harens? Can I add more than 1 male? I know, space is a key here, so let's say I put them on a 100 l tank, just to wonder. Have any fish that can be on the reproductive tank with them, or just the apistos?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I believe you can keep all 3 in a 100 L tank. Just make sure the tank is decorated properly so each fish can have a territory. A. borellii is not a very territorial apisto compared to others. Dither fish like pencilfish (small mouths, stay near the surface) are a good addition. Do a search for "dither fish" on this web site. It will recommend what works and what does not.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….