• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

HELP, Scratch OR CRACK starting :O

nuimom

5 Year Member
Friend just sent me these pics from her Discus 29 T, I will try to forward to here, she said feels smooth and substrate is sand. Thanks in advance :) Nuimom

nuimom

5 Year Member
Here are the pics she sent, surfaces are smooth and looks irregular, scratch ?
IMG957986.jpg
IMG957991.jpg
OR CRACK starting, ackkk!!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
If it is a scratch now, it will become a crack eventually (soon?). It looks like it runs from the top of the glass pane to the bottom - just like how one cuts glass with a glass cutter. If she can't afford a new tank I suggest that she drain the tank and add a glass 'bandage' with silicone sealant. I've done this with tanks and it holds up well, if not very pretty.

nuimom

5 Year Member
Thanks Mike will forward her your message. She said it doesn't run all the way from top to bottom and is watching it.

nuimom

5 Year Member
If it is a scratch now, it will become a crack eventually (soon?). It looks like it runs from the top of the glass pane to the bottom - just like how one cuts glass with a glass cutter. If she can't afford a new tank I suggest that she drain the tank and add a glass 'bandage' with silicone sealant. I've done this with tanks and it holds up well, if not very pretty.

Thanks Mike, Mike what is the silicone "bandage" product, does she need to do it inside and out???

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
I can't tell from the picture, but is the glass curved? If it is I would be reluctant to try and repair it.
Thanks Mike, Mike what is the silicone "bandage" product, does she need to do it inside and out???
I've done the same as Mike, you silicon a strip of glass over the scratch/crack, ideally at least 2" wide and longer than the crack. Inside and outside would be best, followed by "inside only" but I've successfully done it just on the outside as well. I'd try and get a replacement tank (or replace the pane) asap

Either way I'd be tempted to reduce the water level in the tank if she can (dependent upon filter type etc.).

cheers Darrel

nuimom

5 Year Member
Hi all,
I can't tell from the picture, but is the glass curved? If it is I would be reluctant to try and repair it.I've done the same as Mike, you silicon a strip of glass over the scratch/crack, ideally at least 2" wide and longer than the crack. Inside and outside would be best, followed by "inside only" but I've successfully done it just on the outside as well. I'd try and get a replacement tank (or replace the pane) asap

Either way I'd be tempted to reduce the water level in the tank if she can (dependent upon filter type etc.).

cheers Darrel

Thank you all for your great input :)
She is getting new tank :))
Think that is best for peace of mind !

nuimom

5 Year Member
Hi all,
I can't tell from the picture, but is the glass curved? If it is I would be reluctant to try and repair it.I've done the same as Mike, you silicon a strip of glass over the scratch/crack, ideally at least 2" wide and longer than the crack. Inside and outside would be best, followed by "inside only" but I've successfully done it just on the outside as well. I'd try and get a replacement tank (or replace the pane) asap

cheers Darrel

Thank you all for your great input :)
She is getting new tank :))
Think that is best for peace of mind !

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….