• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

HELP (New fish hiding, not eating)

Don cheech

Hello all so I am new to this forum and new to apistos, looking for some advice in terms of two new apistogramma viejita l just got. I have a well planted 75 gallon with great filtration and about 30 peaceful nano fish in there. My water parameters are 78 degrees. 7.0 ph very low nitrates almost zero, kh 3 gh 9. I have a a male and female apistos that were introduced 2 days ago and the male has been hiding the whole time and hasn’t been eating. I cannot find the female anywhere. I have a lot of hiding spots which I am assuming she must be hiding in. My question “IS THIS NORMAL” should I be concerned?

MacZ

Could be anything. Wrong/no acclimation or you might have bought sick fish or they didn't do well in transit (maybe gotten too cold). The first few days it can just be recovery from transport.

So how did you acclimate them?
Did you see anything conspicious on them? (Too thin, too thick)
Can you post a picture of your tank? Maybe that gives some clues.

It's also unlikely you got real A. viejita. Most fish sold under that name in the trade are actually A. macmasteri, often a domestic form of those.

Apistoguy52

If the fish looked healthy when you added them to the tank, 2 days of hiding wouldn’t concern me very much….heck, I just moved a pair of fish across the room and they’ve been hiding for a week (probably
Because there is a bit more light in the new tank)

anewbie

If the fish looked healthy when you added them to the tank, 2 days of hiding wouldn’t concern me very much….heck, I just moved a pair of fish across the room and they’ve been hiding for a week (probably
Only a week? I moved mine from a 29 to a 40 and she hid from me for 6 months; though now she has stopped hiding. Having said that i would be a bit concern with these new fishes though it might not be anything.

Don cheech

Could be anything. Wrong/no acclimation or you might have bought sick fish or they didn't do well in transit (maybe gotten too cold). The first few days it can just be recovery from transport.

It's also unlikely you got real A. viejita. Most fish sold under that name in the trade are actually A. macmasteri, often a domestic form of those.

Don cheech

I put the bag in the tank opened it waited 15 minutes added 1/2 cup of aquarium water and repeated that 3 more times and then put them in. I hope they are genuine l paid $70.00 for the pair. The male was rather large at least 2 inches maybe 2 1/2
The female is smaller they both looked great and the male had beautiful color.

Attachments

• 2A4A19AF-9A6D-4A4A-9B02-90D86023D188.jpeg
    2A4A19AF-9A6D-4A4A-9B02-90D86023D188.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 105

Don cheech

I put the bag in the tank opened it waited 15 minutes added 1/2 cup of aquarium water and repeated that 3 more times and then put them in. I hope they are genuine l paid $70.00 for the pair. The male was rather large at least 2 inches maybe 2 1/2
The female is smaller they both looked great and the male had beautiful color.

Attachments

• 166C6F27-07F7-4CA7-A151-F9FAB752B445.jpeg
    166C6F27-07F7-4CA7-A151-F9FAB752B445.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 102

Don cheech

MacZ

I hope they are genuine l paid $70.00 for the pair. The male was rather large at least 2 inches maybe 2 1/2
Ok, having seen the picture... Sorry, they are just domestic macmasteri.
And the white markings in the face of the bigger one are not a good sign either. Could be Hexamita. Keep that under close observation. That one picture is not enough for a positive diagnosis.

Don cheech

And the white markings in the face of the bigger one are not a good sign either. Could be Hexamita. Keep that under close observation. That one picture is not enough for a positive diagnosis.
Thanks
Should I play it safe and treat for Heximita?

Don cheech

Thanks

Hey take a look at this picture of a glow fish tetra I have in the tank I noticed some white specs on its tail do you think it could be a disease like ich

Attachments

• 0E967E1F-9588-4223-80C2-18E027597D36.jpeg
    0E967E1F-9588-4223-80C2-18E027597D36.jpeg
    403.5 KB · Views: 88

MacZ

Not yet, but maybe research what meds are available in your country and order them in.

Hey take a look at this picture of a glow fish tetra I have in the tank I noticed some white specs on its tail do you think it could be a disease like ich
Can't tell, sorry. But if only one fish has it, I doubt it's Ichthyphthirius, that stuff is highly contagious.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….