• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help me sex my A. Borelli!

Aclman88

Hi! I ordered a sexed pair from aqua bid back in of A. Borelli Bella Union. When I received them they were under and inch and didn't have much color. They have been in their heavily planted home since June (so about four months) and have started to color up slightly. They are eating well on frozen brine and miss shrimp and occasionally with frozen bloodworms. They are active, and the larger of the two in the beginning would chase the smaller but this seems to have dropped off. I am unsure if they are, in fact, a sexed pair, or two males. Any help or insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I uploaded pics of the two fish... let me know if they are not clear enough or if you need more.

Attachments

• IMG_6185.JPG
    IMG_6185.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 388
  • IMG_6186.JPG
    IMG_6186.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 415

Aclman88

I would expect to see higher and more pointed tips on the dorsal fins of males. Males commonly show more blue spangles on the cheeks.

so would you say they are both females? I ordered them on aquabid and was sold as a sexed pair. Is there any recourse or to order another and hope for a male?

Drayden Farci

5 Year Member
I'll respond here to compile them to one thread only.

Having seen the pictures and video, I still think they are both female. At that size, you would expect to see males have a much broader dorsal fin, pointed tips like Mike says, and much more color. The video is low quality but you can see the size difference and a bit of the shape difference here: https://praquatics.com/forums/threads/fs-apisto-borelli-bella-union-young-pairs.4247/

Aclman88

Ya looks like I got two females. Would it be okay to order a male and have two females and one male in a 20H? There are tons of plants and driftwood to break lines of sight and plenty of hiding spots. I really want to try my hand at breeding apistos and don’t want to stick with just two females. Was also really hoping to have a nice colored up male strictly for aesthetics.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
When buying small apistos, especially sight unseen, I prefer to by 6 specimens. There are better odds at getting both sexes. If I buy small apistos that I can actually see, then I buy 2 larger specimens and 4 smaller - but not the smallest (runts) - specimens in the tank. If you can get a definite male, then the trio should be OK in a 20H that is heavily decorated. I, however, would not completely trust the original seller to send you a male unless it is at least 2"/5cm TL and shows definite male characteristics.

Aclman88

@Mike Wise , thanks. I am reaching out the seller now to see what they can do. The fish came in excellent condition and were packed very well, jsut want to see what my options are. You can find a picture of my tank attached for reference, but there are plants and driftwood throughout the tank. I usually have trouble finding all of my fish - particularly the apistos - since there is so much in the tank. Thanks for the help!

Aclman88

It might have been me that sold you them. I sold them on aquabid and eBay in September and October. It had to either be me or apistodave. Email me at [email protected]

No worries! I reached out to the seller and they sent a a replacement male at no cost. Upon seeing it in the tank, it was definitely easy to tell a male and female apart once I had once of each to compare each other to. The male, while not totally colored up had almost a steel yellow/blue coloration and a completely different manner of swimming. Also, could see the different finange as well.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….