• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello from Canada!

Daryl

5 Year Member
Hi There,

I just found this site the other day (I've been lurking) and I thought my first post should be an introduction!

My name is Daryl and I am from Victoria, BC, Canada. Next month I am moving to the big city - Vancouver! I am really excited to make the move as their are a number of fish species that are readily available at LFS over there that one can't find in this neck of the woods!

Because we are downsizing I have recently had to sell off a number of larger tanks including my 135g and a 90g (along with some 33g and 20g grow outs!).

I am making the move with a single tank - a custom 22g aquarium that I have had for years - I love it! The tank is 36" long, 12" wide, and 12" tall. It's had a number of different incarnations over the years including this set-up that I absolutely loved;

DSCF0879.jpg

When I sold all of my tanks I also had to sell all of my fish (I kept 4 BN pleco fry that are about 1" total length and a very old Siamese Algae Eater). Tomorrow I am going to be adding a few Blue Ram s to this tank in hopes of getting a pair. Once I am settled in in Vancouver I am going to try and set-up an Orinoco bio-tope tank in either a 40g breeder or a 75g tank if I can make room! The Rams will become a part of this bio-tope along with a Keyhole and perhaps some A. hongsloi...

My very first cichlids were a quartet of Bolivian Rams - after watching their antics I became hooked on cichlids in general and started keeping more and more different species. All told I have kept the following cichlids;

Bolivian Rams
Keyholes
Festivums
Heros sp. Rotkiel
G. Steindachneri
Convicts
Jack Dempsey's

The Hero's and the Festivums were the only ones that I wasn't able to spawn (the Festivums were both male I think), and I couldn't find a male Rotkiel that my wild caught female couldn't beat the snot out of!

Anyhow, that's enough rambling... I am looking forward to learning more about Dwarf cichlids in general - in particular the Apistgramma's and Rams!

Cheers,

Daryl

DH247

5 Year Member
Sup Daryl! Welcome to the forum! There are tonnes on resources on this site and a lot of very knowledgeable individuals. It's great to see another Canadian roaming about, let alone one that will be in the same nick of the woods! If you're looking for a LFS, there's a couple about... The ones I typically use the most are Aquariums West, on Burrard just west of Davie and Big Al's down in Richmond. AW is great cuz the people are fantastic, incredibly knowledgeable and take great pride in offering great fish. However, they don't see too many apistos or SA dwarfs as they have limited space and a somewhat limited demand. Big Al's doesn't always have the best fish or people (save for a few! Chris is a great example) but they do get tonnes of stuff in regularly from all over the world. Anyhow, welcome to Van when you get here and hopefully we can enjoy a beer sometime.

Cam

PS - Nice tank!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenAmon

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….