• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hard water

apistodave

Staff member
5 Year Member
I just heard from a friend that is spawning these in hard water----never heard of this before!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_8917.jpg
    IMG_8917.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 381

campbellosii

The water in my area runs a ph of around 7.2 and is fairly hard. (Not sure of exact hardness)
None the less, a friend of mine is breeding them in straight declorinated tap water.
I should hopefully be getting some of his stock in a few weeks as well.

-Cory

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
Hard water means very different things to different people.
I dislike the frequently used phrase, "liquid rock" which I have seen used in reference to water with a TDS of only 140 ppm TDS.
I have bred several pairs of wild Brown and Blue Discus in water with a TDS of close to 500 ppm TDS and a pH of 7.6 and raised hundreds of their fry so there is a lot more to breeding some soft water fishes than hardness.

This doesn't mean that I always swim upstream for the hell of it; there are plenty of Tetras and SA Dwarf Cichlids which even if they spawn in moderately hard water, there may still be problems getting their eggs to hatch. Often you can't know what is possible until you try.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….