• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

hanna h198129

sasikan

hi can someone help me calibrate my meter? i have bought calibrating solution but don't know what to do with it .the instructions tell me to press o mode until we see buffer set if i do this the meter turns off? and if i would get a (ph buffer reading) and it was at 7.5 in a buffer solution of 7 how would i calibrate it ? there is no knob to change the settings

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Do you have pH4 buffer as well? These have 2 point calibration, you put the probe in the pH4 buffer, and when it comes to the bit where it says "buffer" or "cal1", you press it and it buffers the meter to pH4, followed by "cal2" in the pH7 buffer, which buffers to pH7, and then you read the sample.

The web site says: "memorized buffers (pH 4.01 / 7.01 / 10.01 or 4.01 / 6.86 / 9.18)".

The technical details are here: <http://www.hannainst.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=1204_4929&products_id=2503> and the manual is here: <http://www.hannainst.co.uk/Manuals/9812.pdf>

cheers Darrel

sasikan

hi thanks for the info but on this site<http://www.hannainst.co.uk/Manuals/9812.pdf> it says on page 10 to adjust the ph reading with the ph knob, this must be a different model. mine is hanna h198129 not hanna h19812 i do not have a knob on mine

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Sorry I didn't make that very clear, as Mike says the buffer is internal, that is what the
"memorized buffers (pH 4.01 / 7.01 / 10.01 ......)"
bit means.

If you just have the pH7 buffer you need to follow single point calibration:
For a single-point pH calibration, place the electrode in any buffer from the selected buffer set (eg. pH 7.01 .....). The meter will recognize the buffer value automatically. If using pH 4.01 or pH 10.01, the meter will display OK for 1 second and then return to the normal measuring mode. If using pH 7.01, after recognition of the buffer the meter will ask for pH 4.01 as second calibration point. Press the /MODE button to return to measurement mode
But 2 point (pH7 & pH4) would be much better.
For a two-point pH calibration, place the electrode in pH 7.01.... The meter will recognize the buffer value and then display pH 4.01 USE. Rinse the electrode thoroughly to eliminate cross contamination. Place the electrode in the second buffer value (pH 4.01 ......). When the second buffer is recognized, the LCD will display OK for 1 second and the meter will return to the normal measuring mode. The CAL symbol on the LCD means that the meter is calibrated.
It is a good quality pH/ conductivity meter, and should be fairly accurate.

cheers Darrel

slimbolen99

5 Year Member
One thing I learned pretty quick about calibrating that is not in the manual is make sure you wait a good amount of time for the device to calibrate itself once it's placed in the calibration fluid. Mine sometimes takes a minute before it says "OK".
Also, remember to maintain your device properly. Needs to have storage solution added to the 'lid' almost weekly to keep that glass ball moist.

wethumbs

5 Year Member
Throw the cap away! I put all my pH meters (probe end) in a clear container with water. This way you can see the water level without removing the cap. I use the Milwaukee PH600. Since it is only $18, I throw it away every year after I get a new one.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
All pH meters should be turned on for a few minutes before use, the large bench meters in the lab. are never turned off. After that the more pure the water is the longer it will take for the meter to become stable.

Rather than repeat all that has been posted before, we actually have a had a few threads which cover pH and its measurement fairly throughly recently.

Try these 2:
<http://www.apistogramma.com/forum/index.php?threads/digital-meters.11708/#post-63428>
&
<http://www.apistogramma.com/forum/index.php?threads/digital-meters.11708/#post-63428>

The thread I can't find is the one where Ted explains about his experiments with raising conductivity to facilitate pH measurement.

cheers Darrel

viejo

5 Year Member
Not too old of a post so here goes. My Hanna HI 98129 meter which was only a year or so old & probably only used a couple of times gave up the ghost. It appears that the so-called 'waterproof' casing wasn't really & I ended up with moisture therein. I contacted Hanna but 'no joy' as the unit was out of the warranteed period. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good & reliable (non combo) meter, preferably not Hanna, or even a source of good low range pH kit such as Tetra used to make? I'm thinking in the 4.5 to 7.0 range.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
I think pH meters are just quite high maintenance bits of kit, we get through a lot of meters and electrodes, partially because the students do horrible things with them, but partially because there is quite a lot that can go wrong.

You could get an ISFET meter, they have advantages in terms of robustness, but are more pricey. Have a look at Gerald's post here: <http://www.apistogramma.com/forum/i...er-ph-seachem-discus-buffer.11214/#post-60643>

cheers Darrel

cichlidmac

Interesting..... So I just go this off Ebay for 30 bucks and in assuming the probes must be ruined? It's been sitting around a while.
uploadfromtaptalk1364606392854.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1364606401501.jpg

Sent from my Android using Tapatalk 2

uberape

Not too old of a post so here goes. My Hanna HI 98129 meter which was only a year or so old & probably only used a couple of times gave up the ghost. It appears that the so-called 'waterproof' casing wasn't really & I ended up with moisture therein. I contacted Hanna but 'no joy' as the unit was out of the warranteed period. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good & reliable (non combo) meter, preferably not Hanna, or even a source of good low range pH kit such as Tetra used to make? I'm thinking in the 4.5 to 7.0 range.

i use this cheap one, it probably isnt very accurate (states within 0.1) but does me for water changes and its no big deal if it breaks. It can take a while to stabalise but it works fine.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Digital-P..._Measurement_Equipment_ET&hash=item460492bfbd

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
For those who rarely use their meters, do you keep the probe tips in a stabilizing solution? How often do you calibrate the meter? My Hanna is about 5 years old & still seems to work.

Ttw

5 Year Member
I do not keep mine in a stabilizing solution and the probe tends to dry out. I wet the probe and wait about ten minutes before taking a reading. Seems to read accurately. I calibrate about every 3 months. Readings are the same before and after calibration.

slimbolen99

5 Year Member
My solution always seems to evaporate from inside the cap after a couple of months of non-use; the probe dried out, and now, apparently, I have a pH of 9.0+ in my softwater tanks! Time to buy a new probe...because I would estimate the pH is somewhere around 5.0. Have tried calibrating several times in a row, even doing the two solution calibration, and no difference.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
h1ns

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….