• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Got these two, hoping for some help with sexing

Taylei

Hi! I am new to this, and got these two Apistogrammas (sold as agassizii). I think they’re both female? Was just wondering for some help.

The one in the second picture will turn darker from time to time, and the first picture is definitely the aggressor in any “disagreements” they have. But I also see them swimming next to each other sometimes, and the second one will flare and almost look like showing off.

Attachments

• 6AD51B0F-6331-463F-A1EE-9C9D17637BE7.jpeg
    6AD51B0F-6331-463F-A1EE-9C9D17637BE7.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 125
  • DE2E9BB5-E6DC-43DB-B3CF-A157A88C6600.jpeg
    DE2E9BB5-E6DC-43DB-B3CF-A157A88C6600.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 130

MacZ

Both males and look like agassizii.
I agree.
The one in the second picture will turn darker from time to time, and the first picture is definitely the aggressor in any “disagreements” they have. But I also see them swimming next to each other sometimes, and the second one will flare and almost look like showing off.
Normal behaviour. Depending on your tank size and how it's structured you might have to separate them soon.
Whatever you do, don't add a female now, that would escalate quickly.

Taylei

I agree.

Normal behaviour. Depending on your tank size and how it's structured you might have to separate them soon.
Thank you! It’s a 44 gal, I’m actually about to add more spider wood to it. They’re generally okay, it’s just every once in awhile that the second chases the other one. They tend to stay in their own areas.

Just for my learning - what makes you both say male? What I’m reading is that the females will turn yellow almost, and the first one will do that from time to time, and the second turning darker especially around the head.

Taylei

I agree.

Thank you! It’s a 44 gal, I’m actually about to add more spider wood to it. They’re generally okay, it’s just every once in awhile that the second chases the other one. They tend to stay in their own areas.

Just for my learning - what makes you both say male? What I’m reading is that the females will turn yellow almost, and the first one will do that from time to time, and the second turning darker especially around the head.

Frank Hättich

5 Year Member
Here's what tells me that both of your fish are for sure males:
1. agassizii lip spot
2. submarginal band in the caudal fin
3. pointed and elongated soft part of the dorsal fin

6AD51B0F-6331-463F-A1EE-9C9D17637BE7.jpeg

MacZ

What are the dimensions? Volume doesn't help, especially, as I'm used to metric units.
Spiderwood isn't helpful to give Apistogramma the necessary broken lines of sight. Mind posting a picture of the tank?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….