• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Got my shellies!

KarthikC

Hi guys,

Recently got the shell dweller cichlids: Neolamphrologus Caudopunctatus, Neolamphrologus multifasciatus and lamphrologous Ocellatus. Currently under quarantine in a bare bottom tank with shells only (filter is there of course). I'm sharing some pics. Sorry about the bad pic quality.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429450168.000489.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429450182.240150.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429450194.020405.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429450209.118460.jpg

Cheers,

Karthik

KarthikC

Yes. All of them currently in the same tank. I'm trying to trade the caudos for more multies.

Rod

5 Year Member
The Caudo's and Multies are tame compared to the Occy's in my experience

I've never mixed shellie species....;) Not saying it can't be done.....provided the tank is large enough

IMO Multies are best in species only tank....they are step breeders and create colonies of several generations
I've only kept Occy's as pairs in small tanks....carefully landscaped and lit to give female refuge if she needs it
Caudos are more a shell breeder than a shell dweller....;)

KarthikC

The Caudo's and Multies are tame compared to the Occy's in my experience

I've never mixed shellie species....;) Not saying it can't be done.....provided the tank is large enough

IMO Multies are best in species only tank....they are step breeders and create colonies of several generations
I've only kept Occy's as pairs in small tanks....carefully landscaped and lit to give female refuge if she needs it
Caudos are more a shell breeder than a shell dweller....;)

Thanks for the reply Rod. Will try to make it a species only setup. By the way, I'm liking the behaviour of multies more than the caudos. :D the Ocellatus is the king of the tank. Mulling everyone and keeping an entire corner for himself.

Cheers,

Karthik

KarthikC

Hi Guys,

Happy new year in advance. I shifted all the shellies to a 3' x 15" x 15" tank. Lost all Caudos but one. The tank has five multies. Two of them have paired up and bred twice. Pretty excited. Here's how the tank looks like:

23935323341_588accd20c_c.jpg

There's good algae growth. The diet is: Hikari seaweed exreme, Hikari Cichlid excel (usually powdered and dropped in), NLS cichlid formula and weekly once dried shrimps. Hikari micro pellets is fed to the fry. The fry are growing in a steady rate.

I will upload some pics in the near future. Hope you all like the tank.

Cheers,

Karthik

KarthikC

Guys, also wanted your opinion on:

1.) Is any other dwarf cichlid (like Sumbu Dwarves and Julidochromis) compatible with my Multies? Point to remember- the multies are breeding.
2.) Any other species like the Brichardis or Leulupis which may be suitable for this tank?
3.) I am looking for some catfish as well (i am a catfish fanatic) to go well with this stocking.

Please suggest. I am sorry if the questions sound stupid.

Cheers,

Karthik

JIM

Hi Guys,

Happy new year in advance. I shifted all the shellies to a 3' x 15" x 15" tank. Lost all Caudos but one. The tank has five multies. Two of them have paired up and bred twice. Pretty excited. Here's how the tank looks like:

Absolutely Stunning ! Bravo

23935323341_588accd20c_c.jpg

There's good algae growth. The diet is: Hikari seaweed exreme, Hikari Cichlid excel (usually powdered and dropped in), NLS cichlid formula and weekly once dried shrimps. Hikari micro pellets is fed to the fry. The fry are growing in a steady rate.

I will upload some pics in the near future. Hope you all like the tank.

Cheers,

Karthik

focusmarlon

I have my multi in a Mr aqua 12 gallon long it's 9x9x36 I think. They breed steadily and have grown out a few there is one king in the tank. I belive a catfish might eat your fry and a birchardi can get nasty ever heard of a birchardi death squad
20160110_213424.jpg

KarthikC

Thanks for the input. :) looks like I'll just maintain a colony of multies and nothing else. Other than a few assassin snails, of course.

Cheers,

Karthik

KarthikC

I have my multi in a Mr aqua 12 gallon long it's 9x9x36 I think. They breed steadily and have grown out a few there is one king in the tank. I belive a catfish might eat your fry and a birchardi can get nasty ever heard of a birchardi death squadView attachment 5625

I forgot to mention that your tank is really beautiful. Can u share pics of the inhabitants as well?

Cheers,

Karthik

focusmarlon

there is a new member of the colony. I am also battling hair algae

Attachments

• 20160120_201518.jpg
    20160120_201518.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 711

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….