• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

got an prob. with jane

naggur

5 Year Member
hey there!

I got an prb with jane ( ram asian form), she is hangin at the surface near the intake of the filter house, she dont eat much any more and when she do it's only an nip. can it be that she is afraid of other tank mades incloudin her hubby, somthing isn't goin rigth or what?
no1, 2 and 3 is ok ph is 7.5 and temp nearly 76°

I know the tank is realy small (only 2gal) but next week I'm getin 14gal tank.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Your problems might be from many sources. The tank's temperature is too low for Rams. Raise it to 28-30ºC. A 2 gallon tank is too small for more than 1 Ram unless you have a mated pair. Rams are cichlids and territorial. If the male is not mated to the female, then she is just another cichlid in his territory. He will try to drive her away. Finally you may be seeing the first effects of what happens to most Asian bred Rams.

scott

5 Year Member
are there other fish beside the pair in the tank? your female is probably at the bottom of the "food chain" meaning the other more dominant fish want her out of their territory. also ph of 7.5 is a little high for rams. i keep mine in straight r/o with a ph of 5.5 although water this soft and acidic is only necessary for breeding purposes. i believe that asian bred rams are probably used to higher ph anyway. i would definitely say that tank size and overcrowding is your problem. although as mike said, asian bred rams are well know for dying off quickly. let's just hope that's not the case and when you get your new tank everyone will be happy. good luck!

naggur

5 Year Member
hehe jane is kickin some bolivian butt now that is claming her oven teretory. alo she is makin an move at her "hubby" and eatin really crafty now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jhays79

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….