• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Getting New Fish

mematrix

5 Year Member
:confused: Hi my name is curtis. I have 2 species of Dwarfs comming to me I ordered from David Soares. 1 pr Nanacara anamolas and 2 pr Apistogramma borelliis 1pr mine 1pr my girlfriends. I have kept anamolas but not borelliis and was if anyone could give me the heads up on their behavior. Like are they relitively peaceful how well they are in a community tank will probly be keeping them with Kribs or my rams am planning on getting anothr tank to expand into 50-70gal any info much apreciated thanks Curtis :biggrin:

Apistt_ed

Hello mematrix,

A. borellii are probably the easiest of all dwarfs in that they are quite peaceful and are great tankmates. They will take all types of food, but IMO they do better with frozen and live foods such as brine shrimp, daphnia, bloodworms, etc. Your cribs will be dominating the tank if you plan on adding the borellii to them. I am pretty sure you know of anomala's temperment as they can be pretty aggressive during the time of spawning, but A. borellii are nowhere close to that. Borellii are timid, and do best, I believe by themselves not because of their aggression but due to the fact that they will cower to other fish who are more aggressive. They do make great community fish though and should do fine with your rams as long as there is enough space and "floor" for the two species to settle into. Rams my be a little too aggressive if it gets too crowded or you have a pair of rams that already consider the tank as their whole territory.
The fish coming from Dave, will be small and I think that if your rams are already grown, I'd probably suggest to separate a tank just for the borellii to grow out a little bit before introducing if not just to let them grow but to safeguard the main tank, which should be done whenever getting new fish. David Soares has great fish, but it's always a good precaution. best of luck and cheers. john

mematrix

5 Year Member
Re Thanks to reply

:redface: Hi John Thanks for the reply David said that the fish were adults that he is sending us but have already devided the krib tank in preparation of there arrival am now just trying to prepare my self by gathering some knowledge together to better take care of them since My girlfriend and I have little experience with apistoes kinda why I chose Borellii had some guys at BCA forum recomend them again really thanks for reply gives me more confidence that I'll be sucessful now Sincerely Curtis Fellow Dwarf Nut can't beat them little guys with attitude :biggrin:

depthc

5 Year Member
You'll get some nice fish so rest assured. I received a pair of borellii from dave not to long ago. They were juveniles but didnt take long for them to grow and color up some. Good luck with your new fish and be sure to acclimate them well.

Andrew

mematrix

5 Year Member
Re to Depthc

:) Thanks Andrew I'm real glad to hear that. I am looking fwd to my first Apistos. I intend to try and get others and also try other S.A. dwarfs have pr of German Blues with 2 sucessful spawns out of 4. About 60+ fry between 6 1/2 and 2 1/2 wks old between the 2. Just love em so far my pride and joys. My kribs have been a disapointment so far eaten all spawns so far (4). Oh I visited your site Liked it added it to my favorites. Well again thanks for reply Sincerely Curtis :biggrin: :redface:

ervis

5 Year Member
Borellii

Hi, I put together a page about my Borellii, a first for me in Apistogramma.

http://www.geocities.com/erviservy/Borellii_Breeding.html

It's been a very rewarding experience for me so far. I'm a bit dissapointed in the total number of survivors though. Just a few weeks ago I had 30 fry, now I'm only counting 15. I leave the fish in the care of another family member for most of the week, as I work in a different city and stay away most nights. I'm thinking they didn't get fed every day. The 15 in there now are feisty little buggers. One has staked out his territory, the bog wood, and patrols it constantly. It's funny to see such a little guy looking like king of the hill.

The parent fish, 2 pairs, have been back in the community tank now for 2 months. At least one female has spawned, not sure about the other. They're in my 55g planted tank and it's so thick with foliage I don't see them at all on some days. I spotted one female down in the dense foliage with a swarm about her. The other pair is in the bog wood pile, which is covered with java fern and moss. I wouldn't be suprised at all to one day find 20, 40, or 50 different size fry showing up.

http://aquaria.info/members/ervis/

Good luck keeping yours,
steve

mematrix

5 Year Member
re to ervis

:biggrin: :tongue: Thank ervis I'd say you did a great job. The article is great exactly what I was looking for. Some personal experience detailing what you did has lots of good information will be excellant help to me Again thanks also My german blue rams spawned last nite got pics and video of the whole thing was up till 3-4 in the morning captureing it got some of the pics on my link in my sig Sincerely Curtis

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jhays79

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….